Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My first run in with my mom over differnt parenting styles

Not bad seeing my oldest is 18 huh?
She never had boys or any knowledge of them, so left me alone wih the boys, but now we have Jen.
Everytime I call she asks, so is she potty trained yet? Arrgh, I say were working on it. Not really but she's 5000 miles away what will she know right?
"Well I had you girls potty trained right after your first birthdays, and the baby next door is almost done"
The next door baby is not two till next March and Jen is two in January.
So today, I was sassy, or more likely sick of hearing about the miracle baby next door, and said. "Well I think Wendy and I had you trained to stick us on the pot everytime you knew we were going to go Don't you think?"
She agreed and said I should do that too, get her a candy for every pee etc, I was being lazy
Well hell, she lived in town, never went anywhere and was never out of the house more than an hour. It takes me that long to drive to town to go shopping, I'd be pulled over on the side of the road all day with a potty getting Jen to pee everwhere we went, not feasable, bleah!
Any way I prefer Potty learning, not pushing her to do it early, she crys if I sit her on the potty anyways. Not that I'd tell her that, she'd probably have some weird solution to that too.

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My first run in with my mom over differnt parenting styles

You are lucky.
I am constantly fighting with my mom about parenting styles.
She never BF and I have and still amd Bfing to start with.
It just goes on and on.
She tried to force Donovan to PT at 18 mos. and now, he refuses to get on a potty at 3.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like conversations I have with my grandmother. She is constantly telling me how my DD SHOULD be doing certain things by now and that I must not be doing things right. ARG!

You should tell her that most good Doctors now tell parents that between ages 2-3 is the ideal time for toilet training.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loni1090 View Post
You are lucky.
I am constantly fighting with my mom about parenting styles.
She never BF and I have and still amd Bfing to start with.
It just goes on and on.
She tried to force Donovan to PT at 18 mos. and now, he refuses to get on a potty at 3.
Poor Donovan.
My boys didn't PL till 3 anyways, (Max was closer to 4 and still wet himself daily till 7) luckily she left it alone, she had heard from other women at work boys are late.
She never said anything about bfing, not till Max was nearly two, I said the ped said to keep gong and she was fine with that. Maybe if I say the ped said PL has to be at babys pace to save trauma ahe'll be OK. Not really she'll think I'm saying she caused us trauma. Although I have vivid memories of wetting myself and being in a panic about it.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

at elast she's 5,000 miles away, that should help you out..lol
you are the mama and will do things with your child as it comes along, don't let your mother 's info get under your skin
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh please I think that some parents exaggerate things over the years... LOL thier old age inhibits thier ability to remember things that happened 20-30-40 years ago... my mom (and MIL for that matter) NEVER say things like that to me, cause I'm not one to hold my tougne. My Gracie is 2 1/2 and not pt'ed yet. she was close for a while, but then she started having accidents every single time, so I just put a diaper back on her and we havent even tried for a while, she did pretty good yesterday in undies for a while then we went out for about an hour and I forgot she didnt have a diaper and I didnt take her potty so she had an accident in her carseat. but hey, live and learn right. dont let her get you down, you are the mommy!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was talking with a daycare/preschool director and she was SHOCKED that my son (who will be 3 in January) is potty-learned. I think people are too anxious to get kids potty-trained/learned. A friend of mine had her son training at 12months...there was(is) NO way either of my kids were ready at 12 months...NO way at all..and it was SO much easier following ds' lead...ya know? Instead of forcing it.