Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
momtothreeboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
NEED HELP....WHOOPING COUGH!!!! UPDATE

Hi, mamas. My son went to the docter a week ago with fever and a cold. The docter stated thta he had a slight ear infection and a cold and put him on antibiotics. The past three days my son has been having coughing fits that last for a few minutes and then he is fine. He sounds like he is gagging and chiking. Sometimes his lips turn blue. He is 9 months old and otherwise fine. He is eating,sleeping playing etc. He still has cold symtoms like runnt nose and congestion. I am seeing the docter first thing in the morning. I just wanted some advice on Whooping cough. I have had whooping cough twice and it seems like thats what this is. If you have any advice, natural remedies etc please LMK. tHANKS
UPDATEThanks guys for the info nad support. I just got back from the docter and he said that it is the croup with some brochilitous. He prescribed him nebs and a script fot antibiotics just incase. He knows that I don't give my kids antibiotics lightly so he said to keep him updated and we will decide if he needs it in a few days. I asked about whooping cough and he said it is very hard to diagnose and it probadly is not that because their is no outbreak in the area right now. He heard him cough and he said it sounds more like croup to him. He is on albuterol right now and a cool mist humidifier running all the time. Thanks, I really appreciate all of your advice!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by momtothreeboys; 11-14-2006 at 11:06 AM.
momtothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Re: NEED HELP....WHOOPING COUGH!!!!

Could be bronchitis or even pnuemonia. My ds#2 has had it all. I definitely recommend a humidifier in his room when he is sleeping! Everytime my ds has had whooping cough, bronchitis, or pnuemonia he was put on a nebulizer and antibiotics.

If you put your hand on his back can you feel crackling? Also if you lift up his shirt does he look like he is wheezing?
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

If you do a search on the web there is one place that I found a while ago that had voice recordings of actual wooping coughs.

The little girl down the street from us was exposed to it and had it and then was at our home. Know one knew she had it. I freaked and called the pediatrician's office and they said to get wooping cough you have to inhale actual spit/mucous/expectorum in the air after someone near you has coughed. So, if your little one has been quite close to a person with active coughing/wooping cough they could have inhaled the wet stuff. (ick, I know).

If not, then it's probably just a cold. A bad one.

I'd do some googling if I were you. Then make an appt again and go in.

ETA: Also, docs office said the more vax's for this the more immune a child is. BUT you would need to be fully vaxed (IE: have all of the vax's) to be safe (safer) from getting it. My son had had 2 of the vax's so the possibility of him getting it had he inhaled the expectorant from an active cougher was higher BUT the girl didn't have any coughing fits here. So, doc said since she was not actively coughing the chances were very low.

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!

Last edited by Bare Bottom Gear; 11-13-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
babyroosboutique
Banned

My Mood:

I dont know if croup and whooping cough are differet, I think they are, but to me, this sounds like croup. My DS had it when he was about 7mo old. He started with a cold, and thought it was getting better, Then one night he woke up cooughing like a seal.
It scared the sh** out of me and my husband. He was gasping, and had labored breathing. I called the ER, and they said to take a warm shower with him, and then take him out in the cold air, bundled up, of course, to breathe in the cold air. This made it better, and he was able to go to sleep. In the next few days, he had a few more episodes, but we just did the shower, cold air thing, and eventually, it just went away.
They dont give antibiotics for croup, but they will give albuteral for bad episodes.
Good luck mama!!! And I hope he gets better quick!
babyroosboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
babyroosboutique
Banned

My Mood:

Sorry, NAK!
babyroosboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

We have had the whooping cough also and If you think he could have it and is only 9 mos, I would go back to the dr. My kids were older, but when I did research on it it said the cough was dangerous in infants, small children, and the elderly.

I too heard the different coughs when I did a searcg on it as the pp did.

Prayers for your son.

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If you're sure this is whooping cough, google treating it with Vitamin C. I'm not sure how you would treat a 9 month old, but with older children at least you give massive doses of Vitamin C until "bowel intolerance"....basically, you know you hit the right dose when it gives them diarrhea. I'd just be really careful about that with a baby so young - definately google it, MDC is a good source of info as well.

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
momtothreeboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas for the advice. My 2nd son had rsv with lots of wheezing for the first year of his life and it does not sound like wheezing but it is crackling-what does that mean? And we are delay vaxing but he has gotten his DTap shots- his last one was 2 months ago. We are delayng the mmr and varicella though. I have a neb machine so the docter may prescribe nebs for him. I was also thinking the croup, it is possible because it is a little dogggy cough. Thanks and I'll post tommorow when we get back from the docter. I am just worried it is pneumonia because I know that is really bad.

ETA: Thanks mamajo I will look up the vitamin c thing. If the docter says he does have it It will prob help. I give the drops to my oldest when he gets sick and it works wonders! Also, I have also tried a cough suppresent and that does not work on this illness! Thanks

Last edited by momtothreeboys; 11-13-2006 at 08:06 PM.
momtothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Sound like croup. My oldest has it right now and antibiotics will not help it. She was on Zithromax for 5 days but that was for a sinus infection. Her cough has actually gotten quite a bit worse since the antibiotics
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
jillkuster
Registered Users
seller

I just read this last night.

October 30, 2005
On Illness, Fear and Time
In the past few weeks there have been several cases of whooping cough in the town where we live. I have watched how this illness has been received in our community. And I have been dismayed by the amount of fear I have seen.

Why do parents of strong, healthy children fear whooping cough? Why do health professionals make dire warnings shrouded in gloom, causing fear and distress? Why are we too scared to step back a moment, to take stock and assess the reality of the situation?

Can whooping cough kill? Yes - but very, very rarely. Its main victims are the very old, the very young and those with a compromised immune system, like people with AIDS. Far more children get killed every year - every month - in this country in traffic related accidents than die in a decade of whooping cough. And yet the risk factor from cars is an accepted part of our lives - but the risk from an infectious disease is not.

Why not? Is it that cars and roads and school buses contribute to the everydayness of our lives and so we do not stop and think much about the risks? And might it be that an illness such as whooping cough disrupts our lives, causes chaos, makes us have to adjust? By its very foreign nature, its "otherness", disease is scary. By its ho-hum acceptability, its foundational place in our lives, the risk of injury and death from cars barely even registers in our consciousness. A few figures to chew over: in the year 2002, there were 18 deaths in the entire United States due to whooping cough - in 2000 there were 37,526 traffic related deaths (Sources: the Center for Disease Control and the US Department of Transportation).

And yet disease does not have to be viewed only as an intruder, an interloper, a stranger. It can also be viewed as a guest who carries a message. The receiving of this message might be difficult, be unpleasant. There might be pain or discomfort. But there does not have to be fear. We can learn to accept illness and to listen to the message it carries and thereby learn an enormous amount about our bodies and our very selves.

I had a serious illness about two years ago - I am unsure of the diagnosis as I decided not to go to the hospital, knowing I would accept neither intervention nor medicine. Why waste my time and the time of the doctors? Further, I knew that once I stepped onto that path, I would be surrounded by fear - and that fear was the last thing my ill body needed.

So I stayed home - and was in bed for about 6 weeks. And then I graduated to the couch for about 2 or 3 months. I had a lot of time to think and one of the things I thought about was time. Time and healing. Time to heal. Healing time. I thought about words like "convalescence" and I thought about how one can come across passages in books written 50 or 100 or more years ago where there are references to "he was better by the Fall" or "she took all winter to regain her health" or similar. And I was struck how no one speaks in these terms anymore. People want to get better NOW. Healing, convalescence, seems old fashioned, even dangerous.

Back to whooping cough, I wonder how much of parents’ fear has to do with the idea of a child being ill for weeks, even months. This is not something we come across these days and one might even think that such a long time being ill is somehow neglectful. And who has time these days to nurse a child back to health? Quarantine is inconvenient - staying home to keep a baby away from others who might be ill is a nuisance. Our lives are so busy, so stretched it can seem inconceivable to be able to do such things.

Antibiotics and much of conventional medicine promises quick results. Like the elusive and much sought for magic bullet to cure cancer or AIDS, antibiotics promise a no fuss cure. Get your child tested, get her on antibiotics for 5 days and presto - good as new. No more disease.

And no more messenger. No time for that child and her parent to listen to what that illness has brought and to allow her body to develop the ability to heal itself. When I was able to listen to the messenger that brought my ill health, I came up with a whole new career for myself and my family, working as a consultant with Waldorf homeschoolers. It was extraordinary how this unfolded and how things fell into place. And as I healed, I was able to follow this new path. And as I followed the path, I healed.

Children can grow enormously after childhood illness, especially those involving fevers which literally burn off "stuff" and allow new physical, emotional, spiritual and intellectual capacities to flower, much in the same way a prairie fire clears room for new and healthier plant growth. As a youth worker, teacher, parent educator and parent, I can’t tell you how many times I have seen this happen.

When a child - or adult - is allowed, without fear, to grow in this way, the possibilities are boundless. Teachers recognise something new in the child that rejoins his class, colleagues and friends see shifts and changes in an adults’ patterns. A community which embraces illness without fear can grow together - and along these lines I’m afraid I don’t buy the "taking antibiotics is socially responsible" line. I see the mass and indiscriminate taking of antibiotics to be potentially socially damaging. The overuse of antibiotics in this country contributes every year to the death of hundreds - perhaps thousands - of people in hospitals and other care facilities where virulent antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria have grown and multiplied. According to Dana Ullman MPH, a respected homeopath,

Alexander Fleming, the scientist who discovered penicillin, cautioned against the overuse of antibiotics. Unless the scientific community and the general public heed his warning, Harvard professor Walter Gilbert, a Nobel prizewinner in chemistry, asserts ‘There may be a time down the road when 80% to 90% of infections will be resistant to all known antibiotics.’

Whooping cough can be a serious illness - but it is also an opportunity for growth. In healthy children and adults, with the right support of homeopathy or herbs or other health- supporting instead of illness- suppressing methods of healing, it need not be feared. Let us strive to hear - and not shoot - the messenger.