Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Tell me about signing

I want to do it with the girls this time. Can I still teach my son, too?
Any materials I should pick up or look for? When should I start with the babies?
Any other ideas/tips, etc?

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about signing

I just realized that your son's birthday is my sons birthday, but a year before!

Anyways, I started signing w/Asher when he was about 6m, but he didn't pick any of it up until like 7-8 months. I don't know about teaching you son, since we're still a year behind him. I would definitely try the whole signing thing though, its so fun to see them communicating so small!

Last edited by tessa1002; 11-13-2006 at 10:27 PM.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

We started showing my DD signs around 5 or so months. We picked a few then stuck with those, and expanded as she got older. She did her first sign, "milk" at 7 months and now she knows about 40 signs (15 months)

You can start anytime, so you could do it with your son too. We got several books/videos, and ended up doing a combo of Baby Signs, ASL and some of Joseph Garcia's signs. Some signs DD wouldn't do, but she liked others. Like "more". We shoed her the joseph Garcia sign for "More" for months and she never did it. Finally one day, I showed her the Baby Signs sign for "more" and she did it right then. LOL! We really liked the video that came with the Joseph Garcia book, so I highly recommend it.
Some signs are easier for little hands than others, and you can always just make up your own!

Good Luck!!

Last edited by Mom2Natalya; 11-13-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I searched around on the internet for basic signs and demonstrations and just did them every time I said the word. Eddie's first sign was More. I began at about 7 months, doing all done when we finished up whatever we were doing and asking if he was all done or wanted more when he was eating. He didn't sign back till he was about 10 months old.

He knows 6 but I'm not consistent with it like I want to be. I just use basic ones, like drink, milk, eat, all done, more, please & thank you.

It also helps to get a video or go to a class (ie: Sing and Sing at Kindercare is great!)

Just be consistent with it once you start. It definitly helps the frustration level for us. And I also just read in the latest issue of Parenting magazine that since it does cut frustration, toddlers can get the message through and learn better, plus it helps them realize that every object has a name and that is crucial to socialization and speaking. It stated that toddlers who sign actually have a bigger vocabulary by 24 months than those who did not sign.

GalleryBlogFan Page!
iheartruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I love the Signing Times DVD collection. We began teaching my son around 15 months old. It was several weeks before he responded with signs. My then-3 year old caught on really quickly and that was only from observing me signing to her baby brother. She signs quite a bit and knows more than I do now (from the DVDs.)
Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Thanks everyone. I know of one class in our area but there's no way in heck I'm taking all my kids, LOL.
I was thinking about the DVD's. We need a new DVD player, but then I was thinking about getting the DVDs when they get a little older.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started when my dd was about 8 months or so, but she didn't sign back until 12-14 months, but then learned very quickly. I knew some asl from my previous work in special ed, so I just taught her the simple signs I knew, and got a my first signs book for kids to "read" with her. It did really cut her frustration level, and she has quite a large vocabulary now at 25 months.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is an online dictionary video demonstrations for a large amount of signs. I used to have the link, but don't anymore. I took a community sign class at my local university.

My older DS was slow to speak, so I signed with him and it really helped us communicate until he was 2 and could do so verbally. My younger one spoke early and I never felt the need to sign with him.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

We are ALL learning to sign at our house...Me, DH, DD, and DS...we are learning beginning ASL. We have some great friends whose youngest sons is special needs and profoundly deaf. He is 7 and learning lots of signs and DD wanted to be able to talk with him. Since we were signing with the baby, we just decided we would all learn together. She (my 4 year old) picks it up really quickly, as does the baby. Both kids at this point know over 30ish signs. DH and I are quick fingerspellers, something I picked up as a kid, and DD can spell her name and a few other short words. Our friend thinks it is so great that he can talk to someone else besides his family, he gets in trouble all the time for signing to me across the sanctuary at church!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Kylie&Logan'sMommy
A Mommy's Work is Never Done
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

our gymboree had classes. We started dd at about a year, but would have started earlier if I had known about it. We got a kit with our class that had board books and dvds in it. Worked out great