Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just got back from Kindy conferences...

Is it just me or do they expect alot out of a 5/6 yr old ? I KNOW my ds is very smart but the teacher made it seem like he is not too bright.

I got his report card and they check off what he knows. Well, he knows all of his uppercase letters and 98% of the lower case ones. They noted he didn't know his home ph number, but he can read his first/last name and knows the month and day of his birth. He knows all his colors and shapes. But whos 5/6 y/o can recognize written numbers 23, 35, 40, 59, 64, 73, 81, 92?

His gym teacher remarked that he "sometimes needs to focus better during instructional time", come on, he's 5. His teacher also said he sometimes is too busy talking during instructional time in class and then doesn't know what he's supposed to do.

I guess I just see it as he's 5 and 5/6 y/o just don't have the attention span for all day kindy (every other day).

His teacher also remarked that she thought he might need redemial help when he started at the beginning of the year, but now maybe not (she had to look in her notes to see if she had marked him as such). Last year in headstart (I couldn't afford preschool) his teacher couldn't say enough about how intelligent he was, why the change?

Guess I'm just venting. I don't get it.

Advertisement

Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just got back from Kindy conferences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cntrykids View Post
But whos 5/6 y/o can recognize written numbers 23, 35, 40, 59, 64, 73, 81, 92?
Well.. mine can I thought most could, honestly... doesn't seem so absurd to me... why does it seem like "a lot" for a 5yo? DS knew those at 4... I knew that was a tad bit early, but not 5.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think they are slowly sucking our children's childhoods away. When I was a kid if you knew how to write your name and count to 10 at 5 you were ahead of the game. Now they act like your kid is behind if they can't count to 100 and recite at least one Shakespearean sonat. It's rediculous. Of course I also find full day kindergarten alot to ask of most 5yr olds. They are only children once, and pushing them to excell academically so early is robbing them of something very precious. But hey that's just my

For what it's worth my son is autistic. He is obsessed with numbers and letters and can recite the entire alphabet including phonetic sounds, count to 100 (and recognize all of the numbers) and read some words. When he is tested the kindy teachers were floored by what he knew to the point of calling him gifted. Of course he cant use the potty, socialize, ask for what he needs or appropriately respond to social questions. I would rather he used the potty than recited the names and sounds of all of the letters of the alphabet personally.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

My ds is in kindergarten and we have conferences in two weeks. I am not sure what they are going to say about him. I know that he does not know his phone number, and probably can't tell you what the two digit numbers are. He does know letters and will sound out words, but his class learns a letter a week out of order, so they don't expect it of him yet. I do know that his math skills were tested by the school district to be at the level of a 6 year old, and I think they only asked simple calculation type questions. When we visited kindergarten classes, they have charts on the wall of numbers to 100, and count by 1's, 5's, 10's up to 100 as part of their circle time so maybe that is where it comes from.

My older ds knew his phone number and the number recognition stuff by pre-K, but letters didn't click for him at all until kindergarten, and then came very quickly once it clicked. For what its worth, my older son is in 1st grade, and so far they haven't done any math with numbers larger than 12.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had concerences about 2 weeks ago. I kinda like that they expect moreout of hte kids, because my daughter is one that knows EVERYTHING!! It is annnoying. She is spelling, writing, reading, and doing 2nd grade math. BUT there is no need to move her up If they only expected them to know how to count to 5 or 10, my dd would be bored. Now she comes home and can count to100 by 2's,5's and 10's.

I do however HATE alld ay kindergarten. I think it is great for moms who work out of htehome, butthose ofus who work all day AT home, just have a day without our 5 year olds.

I hate how much recessthey get too. school stats at 8, recess at 930, lunch at 1030-1115, recess at 1230, recess at 130.. Really. She coudl have recess all day at home...I dont get it and i miss herwhen she is gone..
Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

My 5yo homeschooled K'er knows all her letters, upper and lower case but if put on the spot and asked to recognize them like they do for assessments for school conferences, I bet she'd miss a few just from being put on the spot. She does know her phone number but it's nothing I taught her, she's just heard me give it out so many times she memorized it that way. She can read her first and last name, knows her birthday, colors, shapes and any number up to 100 (but again, same with the letters, if she were put on the spot I bet she'd miss a few just out of being nervous from being put on the spot) She has the same short attention span which is why I keep my "instructional time" short, sweet and to the point....and so does her ballet teacher who works with mostly 3 - 8yos (and she's well known in this area for doing amazing things with young kids on stage).

I totally agree, full day kindy is bogus. I'm so glad I can keep my kiddies home rather than send them to school all day. Just an observation of mine, dd has Daisy Girl Scouts at the school at 3pm when school gets out. My dd has usually had a nap before gs, the other girls have been at school all day and they are crabby and distracted and just ready to go home and take a nap, not spend another hour doing gs. It's really kind of sad to me, it makes me want to pull out a mat and let them take a nap. All the moms talk about how great full day kindy is for their kids but all I see is tired kiddos.

My oldest son went to Headstart and he just wasn't ready for academics at 4yo. I was told he wouldn't be allowed to start K because he couldn't write his full name at 4yo (mind you his full name is Patrick Michael ******* III, he was expected to write the whole thing from memory at 4yo!) I said that's fine, he won't be enrolling in public K, thank you very much, pulled him out, haven't looked back and he's now doing very well in 3rd grade. He can now write his full name (of course, he has been for a while, he just wasn't ready to at 4yo) and you'd never know they said he'd never succeed in K. I understand they are trying to raise the bar and improve the schools but I think they are asking too much of the kids in some cases, robbing them of their childhood as the previous poster said.

Take heart mama, he sounds like a typical 5yo boy to me, no different than my boys who do just fine with academics now that they are older but I do still have to give them their work differently than I do my dd.

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth View Post
hate how much recessthey get too. school stats at 8, recess at 930, lunch at 1030-1115, recess at 1230, recess at 130.. Really. She coudl have recess all day at home...I dont get it and i miss herwhen she is gone..
Wow! I wish they gave that much recess time here (not that it would benefit my kids as they are homeschooled). They only get 15 minutes a day here. 15 minutes to play outside after lunch and that's it. They also recommend ADHD drugs to any kid who can't sit still but what kid could sit still from 8:30am to 3pm with only 15 minutes to run around and play during that time? Children ages 5 - 12 go to this school and they all only get 15 minutes a day. Just a personal opinion I guess but I think kids NEED to get up and move around and get the wiggles out so they can focus better, especially when they are young. I understand your point about missing her though.

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
nellisfamily02
Registered Users
seller

they definately expect alot out of kids these days! So if your child know all this stuff at the begining of the school year what do they expect to teach them the rest of the year?
I don't think my daughter would know those #s either when she was in K (last year). She would know them as five-nine but not as fifty nine, kwim?

That is silly. The teacher sounds like she expects alot out of them.

Sandy, Momma to Oakleigh (9) and Olivia (6) & Onnalee (2) Old DS Feedback
nellisfamily02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
motherhubbard
Registered Users

I remember kindergarten. We learned our colors and finger painted with pudding. It's just not like that anymore. Our kids are pushed hard, but we are still behind many countries and that's a big deal in a global society. I work with my kids so that they can read before going to kindergarten. It makes a big difference in their overall education, too. My oldest daughter is in the sixth grade and working at a seventh and eight grade levels in all but two classes. The advantage is that she will have some of her college done before graduating from high school. College won't be as expensive for us.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #10
sewingmama2005
Banned
seller

I don't think they're expecting too much either??? My 4 y/o is in pre-K, can count to 100, recognizes all those numbers. Can recite the alphabet and recognizes about 90% of the upper and lowercase letters....BUT she also has my older nephew who loves to play school with her when I babysit, so she's not learning ALL of that at school.
As to the amount of recess someone else posted about. I don't think that's excessive, the younger children don't have the attention span to learn all day, they need those short breaks to "regroup" and relax before going back to learning
sewingmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote