Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: the eye goop they give newborns- yea or nay and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
. In other populations its not only pointless but insulting.
seriously. especially for mamas with scheduled csections and stuff.. i mean WHERE is the info that says its necessary? and yet there they go, and you have to sign a paper saying you DONT want something potentially harmful done to your babe when there is no medical need to begin with and can get some people turned in to cps. the logic Ill never understand!

Advertisement

*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

So....what if you are delivering in a hospital where they claims its state law?

I dont' want this for my baby at all.....have not had it for my last 2 babies because we HB and BC birthed....but this one is being hospital born, anyone know how to combat it?

I am assuming i can tell them to get bent but can they like call cps or anything crazy like that? i don't want trouble, but I also wanna know my rights kwim?

Also, the Vitamin K shot...that one for sure i am not allowing unless baby has a traumatic delivery, but again....how do you combat it if they say its law?
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful7 View Post

I dont' want this for my baby at all.....have not had it for my last 2 babies because we HB and BC birthed....but this one is being hospital born, anyone know how to combat it?

I am assuming i can tell them to get bent but can they like call cps or anything crazy like that? i don't want trouble, but I also wanna know my rights kwim?

Also, the Vitamin K shot...that one for sure i am not allowing unless baby has a traumatic delivery, but again....how do you combat it if they say its law?
oh, they CAN call cps all they want. thats the problem. whether itll mean anything is a different story.

and theres only a couple states where you cant refuse vax, which these are listed as, without medical reasons.
otherwise, you can sign a form saying you decline and tell them to shove it basically. i had a nice fight with my first.
had him in a hospital... they tried to tell me he was gonna die without the vit k, and at the very least get brain damage.. i said no still, and to give me info proving that they were right and id do it. a ped went and printed out info from four sites and brought them to me that get this..said it could cause cancer and wasnt needed in normal deliveries yes, she gave me that trying to prove her point. omg it still makes me laugh! so well needless to say i ended up signing their paper saying i declined and knew the risks.

BUT this being a huge university hospital, THEY HADNT HEARD of it being legal, nor anyone refusing! over 2 shifts and multiple phone calls, and noone knew where to find a paper to let me sign, so they made one up ad i signed that.

the law is that they have to offer it. if you refuse, unless its in a couple states that like i said, dont allow non medical reasons to not vax...then they offered and have documentation that you refused so they need to back off.

Last edited by *~Mindy~*; 01-11-2009 at 09:25 PM.
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you truly don't want your baby to have the eye ointment, then my way is not the best way, BUT, I just wiped his eyes off when they handed him to me after they had done all their stuff.

I knew going in that most of that stuff was auto-pilot for them and while I didn't need him to have it, I researched it for myself and was not particularly opposed to him getting it. So he got whatever they put in there (which is really excessive anyway, even if there is an STD issue) and I just swabbed his eyes gently with whatever towel or blanket was around at the time and got most of the goop off after they gave him to me. For me it was the best solution, because I didn't want to argue at that point and I wasn't upset about him having it.

I understand though that some mamas are really opposed to it and I don't think that the hospital should do it to your baby without your consent. We're having a home birth this time and since my midwife doesn't do anything on auto-pilot (except maybe keep the baby from hitting the floor on the way out) we won't be getting it.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful7 View Post

You go online, and find out what your state law actually says about your right to refuse medical treatment. I think there might be a state or two that does require it, but I'm not sure about that. Print off the info (assuming that you aren't actually required by law to do it) and bring it with you to the hospital, or better yet, make it a part of your birth plan. You remind your DH that you don't want the eye goop, vit K,etc. (so that he can remind the nurses if you are preoccupied) and you also discuss it with your OB or midwife, and your baby's Ped beforehand if at all possible. More than likely, you will need to sign a form stating your refusal. Yes, the hospital could potentially call CPS, but if you are confident, polite, and know your rights, it's extremely unlikely. Even if CPS is called, what are they going to do about a parent refusing a medically unnecessary treatment? They have children who are actually being neglected and abused to worry about.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

we got it because your swab (i forget the name) can give a false positive so you could pass the bacteria on (not just std's). plus it doesn't sting and i asked my mw to wait until he was going to sleep. we delayed all that stuff
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

silly.............. never used it.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

It's not hard to decline – just tell them no prophylactic eye drops. You might have to sign an AMA (against medical advice) form. It's totally unnecessary for babies whose moms are negative for chlamydia and syphillis (I believe those are the two...). And it's ludicrous for babies born by cesarean!!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #19
AmJoyFul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about herpes if there are no sores?

I got a "positive" at PP when I was 18, but I think it's a joke because I've never had anything signs since then and my DH(only person I've been with) has never had any signs.

I always refuse the meds they want to give me towards the end of my pregnancy, my midwives have always agreed with me since I've never had an outbreak since that first time.

I know you can get herpes in the eyes though, so does the eye goop protect against that?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #20
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

I've never seen herpes mentioned in any reading, AmJoyful. With the syphillis and gonorrhea (not chlamidia, as I posted above!), it's the same bacteria in those that causes blindness in children. Def. a good question for your care provider. *hugs*
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote