Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #21
Karipooh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: the eye goop they give newborns- yea or nay and why?

I wish I would have seen this post when my first dd was born. I just thought they had to do it to every baby. I am refusing it with this one!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #22
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I told the OB to not put it on my kidlet when I had my first(hossy birth) and they didn't give me any flack about it. Come to think of it...I don't think I signed anything refusing it either. But I know that he didn't get that nor the vit K shot.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #23
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmJoyFul View Post
What about herpes if there are no sores?

I got a "positive" at PP when I was 18, but I think it's a joke because I've never had anything signs since then and my DH(only person I've been with) has never had any signs.

I always refuse the meds they want to give me towards the end of my pregnancy, my midwives have always agreed with me since I've never had an outbreak since that first time.

I know you can get herpes in the eyes though, so does the eye goop protect against that?
Antibiotics protect against some bacteria. They are totally ineffective against viruses. At least, that is what I recall from high school biology class.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmJoyFul View Post
What about herpes if there are no sores?

I got a "positive" at PP when I was 18, but I think it's a joke because I've never had anything signs since then and my DH(only person I've been with) has never had any signs.

I always refuse the meds they want to give me towards the end of my pregnancy, my midwives have always agreed with me since I've never had an outbreak since that first time.

I know you can get herpes in the eyes though, so does the eye goop protect against that?
Nope. Herpes is a virus, and the eye goop is antibiotics, which only works against a bacterial infection.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No. Herpes is viral. The eye oinment is antibiotic which only works against bacteria.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilismom View Post
You go online, and find out what your state law actually says about your right to refuse medical treatment. I think there might be a state or two that does require it, but I'm not sure about that. Print off the info (assuming that you aren't actually required by law to do it) and bring it with you to the hospital, or better yet, make it a part of your birth plan. You remind your DH that you don't want the eye goop, vit K,etc. (so that he can remind the nurses if you are preoccupied) and you also discuss it with your OB or midwife, and your baby's Ped beforehand if at all possible. More than likely, you will need to sign a form stating your refusal. Yes, the hospital could potentially call CPS, but if you are confident, polite, and know your rights, it's extremely unlikely. Even if CPS is called, what are they going to do about a parent refusing a medically unnecessary treatment? They have children who are actually being neglected and abused to worry about.
Ok, thank you for your help I wonder...it would be the state i am delivering in correct? I am delivering in a different state than I am a resident in but i am assuming i need to look up the state of the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
I've never seen herpes mentioned in any reading, AmJoyful. With the syphillis and gonorrhea (not chlamidia, as I posted above!), it's the same bacteria in those that causes blindness in children. Def. a good question for your care provider. *hugs*
Yeah i'm gonna refuse it then that is ridiclous, and I didn't even have it for my last 2.
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #27
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Ok.....is this what i am looking for?

there are alot of religious exemptions on here, so i'm not this is exactly what I am looking for, wdyt? I'm delivering in the state of Ohio.

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/ohio.htm

I'll use religion if I have too but honestly i do want too get the PKU test, but i can bring them back to the hospital for that or my peds office right?
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
soulmama
Registered Users

Hi there. I was just googling info on the eye goo they put on newborns and I saw your post in here. I also saw that you did not want to do the vitamin K shot either...
Can you share with me your reasons for this? I'm due in just a couple weeks, and I'm filling out my birth plan right now, and well, I've been going back and forth on vaccinations and the eye goo.. so many things.. I'm having a hospital birth, which is not completely what I desired but it is what it is. I'm hoping you can share with me your experiences, and I'm wondering if you were able to follow through with your requests to not have those specifics met at the hospital.
Thanks
soulmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

I wanted to refuse it for our second and third babies but they swept them away before I had the opportunity. I did refuse it with our dd, and will for the upcoming dd. Aside from the fact that DH and I have literally only ever been with each other and I had a pap at the start of pregnancy and am STD free, I have c-sections and so it really is completely pointless. I also declined the Vit K with Sierra. I will probably decline it with Lilah too.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #30
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

My oldest was a section and I was completely out of it, so I have no idea if they did it with her or not. You'd think not since she didn't exactly come out of my lady bits, but one never knows, sometimes hospitals just go on autopilot for things like that. My youngest was a hospital birth, OB transferred from midwifery care due to induction, and immediately transferred back once the apgar was done and my tear was sewn up. The midwife once I let her take her from me offered both vitamin k and eye goop, the latter of which I refused and she happily complied, and she made some remark about it being "based on old methodologies anyway." That's one thing I really loved about midwifery care, everything was an offer. I wasn't pushed into anything, I wasn't "told" to do anything, I was given options and genuinely was expected to choose what I wanted.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote