Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy 7 days old and sick already

I am a little worried for our little guy. For the past couple of days he has been really hot and running a little bit of a temperature.

Last night was extremely hard on him he was screaming and didn't want to eat but would but only little bits at a time. He's only 7 days today but he normally sleeps quite well and is pretty sound when he is asleep.

Then he has a cough and is EXTREMELY congested and snotty. He sneezes 4 times in a row and does this about even 15 mins. Then so much crap comes out of his nose when he sneezes.

We have been sucking out his nose like crazy but even when we get tons out and it doesn't seem like there could be anymore in there he is still snorky and has trouble breathing.

We go to the DR again for him tomorrow anyway so we are going to bring it up then definately. But I just had to post to ask for positive thoughts and I'm just so worried I had to vent.

Has anyone else had a baby so young get sick?? Both my DH and I have been sick since coming home from the hospital just what seems to be a cold. It just seems really early for him to be sick already KWIM.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
mommabug42006
Registered Users
seller

Re: 7 days old and sick already

It sounds like it MAY be RSV. My youngest DS had it and it and it is extremely dangerous. A NB should never run a temp even a low grade one. IMHO I think maybe you should take him to the ER.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabug42006 View Post
It sounds like it MAY be RSV. My youngest DS had it and it and it is extremely dangerous. A NB should never run a temp even a low grade one. IMHO I think maybe you should take him to the ER.
Oooo that's scary. Okay now I have to take his temp again and see what it is.

I haven't even heard of this RSV.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

I'd take him to a clinic or the ER if he has a fever. DS2 was sick beginning at 12 days old. I was miserably sick with a cold when I delivered him. I figured he had the same thing. I waited until his next scheduled appointment (2 days later) to have him checked out. My family doc. told me off for not having him seen sooner. Apparently any fever before 3 months of age is worthy of having checked out. Usually it's nothing, but I guess it could be quite serious.

Our family dr. was afraid DS2 had pneumonia, and she thought he was going to need to be hospitalized. We had a chest Xray done (which came out clear, thank goodness) and were sent to see a pediatrician (our family doc doesn't have hospital privileges, so he needed to see a ped'n to be admitted to hospital). Pediatrician ruled out pneumonia on the basis of the chest Xray, but he was worried about whooping cough. He decided not to hospitalize him, but we had to have a ton of tests done to make sure.

Everyone we saw through that process said, "Better be safe than sorry with a newborn." I felt really guilty for not taking him in to be checked out sooner.

HTH,
Old 11-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
StaceyM
Registered Users

I agree with the PP...it sounds like RSV. Rsv presents as a "cold" in adults and older children but can be devestating to newborns and preemies. DS had it last year and ended up in the PICU. I would take him to the ER momma.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you really do need to check his temp. I agree w/ RSV. It is the season for it. I was always told for the first month if there temp was 100 or above they need to be seen I hope he feels better
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would take him to the ER if I were you, RSV is very dangerous.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

sending you positive thoughts and prayers for your lil guy
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #9
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2nd dd had RSV too and that was what it sounded like when I read your post. I agree with the pp and the e.r. I'm sending huge and . Hope all is well!!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
*bugsmama*
Registered Users
seller

I would head to the ER. Any temp in a newborn is dangerous and should be checked out. It does sound like it could be RSV which is really really dangerous for newborns. DON'T WAIT FOR YOUR APPT!!!! If you can call your ped and see what they say...but my guess is they will say head to the ER. Good luck mama!