Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
smittybike
Registered Users
seller

Re: 7 days old and sick already

I agree, take that baby in!

Advertisement

smittybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #12
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sweetie, I'm not an alarmist. I think fevers should be left to do their work. I think colds etc are good for you- in the long run.
But your baby is very new. He shouldn't have a fever. You are going to need to take him in. they are going to draw blood. I'm sorry momma, I really am, but it has to be done. Bring hand sanitizer and don't let ANYONE touch him for ANY reason unless you SEE THEM WASH UP. Hold him close, nurse him lots, but you need to have him seen.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto everyone else. A newborn should never run a fever. I'd get him to an ER asap. Not to scare you, but just so they can check him out and make sure everything is okay!

and prayers for your little one!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #14
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd was very congested like that at about 2 weeks of age, and I freaked out and took her to the dr. They said it was just normal newborn congestion. she didn't have a temp, though. I think rsv is more of a danger for preemies, but I would definitely get it checked out.
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

You may have already taken him in, but if not my dd had a fever at a few days old and she was just hot. We only had her in a sleeper or a blanket and diaper but she was too hot (JFYI it was Jan when she was born & we kept our house pretty cold). I'd try striping him to a diaper and seeing if that brings his fever down. Also, my doc said that a newborn can run a temp up to 100.4 and be normal. If he does have RSV, it is serious but my dd got it at around 1 month (she was a born a month early) and did fine, no hospitalization or anything like that. I also waited a couple of days befor I took her in because I had the follow up appointment. and for a speedy recovery for your little guy.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 AM   #16
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

Just checking in to see how he's doing this morning. Your post brought back my feelings of helplessness from when my newborn was sick.

and

I hope he's doing well today!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
Ima_to_6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first thought was RSV, too. I hope you had your little one checked out and he is getting some help for his sickness.

My girls were born at 34 weeks and Miella ended up having RSV. It was very scary, especially since the NICU said that they should get the Synagis shot (RSV vax) because of their prematurity and older, school-aged siblings. Unfortunately for us, our insurance wouldn't cover the vax for them and Miella got since. Fortunately, she was able to beat it without any medical intervention; no breathing assistance, no hospitalization, etc.

I really hope that it isn't RSV, in most babies it just seems like a really bad cold, but for some it has very severe consequences.

Please keep us updated!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Any news on this???
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #19
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope he is OK! prayers

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #20
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We took Ephraim in for his appointment today, decided to wait because he was still eating and started to perk up some and didn't continue to have a fever.

Anyway the Dr. said it was nothing, not a cold or anything. His lungs are clear and he has gained 4oz in 4 days which means he's still eating and doing well. Still peeing and pooing.

Apparently the congestion in his nose and the HUGE amount of bright green crap coming out of it is normal?? He said to give him nasal salene before he feeds to help with the "snorkyness".

Ephraim hasn't had a temp since that night but all last night had the cold sweats but the Dr. didn't say anything about it but that he seems perfectly fine.

He does seem to be doing better has a slight cough and still "snorky" as the Dr. puts it but I think it's just from feeding.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts ladies. We are going to keep a close eye on him and we go to the Dr. again on Thursday.