Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
hlivengo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Baby Signing...

We started signing (ASL)with our dd when she was about 6 months old. She has birth defects, and doesn't speak much. She is VERY smart, and it is evident when she signs!( She'll be 3 in Feb.)Otherwise, she'll sit there like a bump on a log. She knows about 100 signs now, and uses them frequently. It is so cool to have her "ask" for a cheese sandwich, or whatever food she wants to eat.

We've had a lot of fun learning ASL as a family, and have incorporated it into our schooling, too.

Advertisement

hlivengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

seems like everyone's been asking about signing lately, lol...yes, we sign with both of our children - we are all learning ASL. My 20 month old has been signing since about 9 months and has about a 30 word "vocabulary." My 4.5 year old DD knows much more than that, and DH and I are working hard to keep up!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

We started at 3 months with "fan" b/c DS was fascinated by them. He's been signing that since 6 months. He knows about 4 right now and we've been doing those since he was 7.5 months.

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

my kids started not long ago, two mamas sent us baby signing time and signingtime dvds, my kids learned fast a whole lot of signs and love to watch them and learn more. danae was about 16 months old my son 3 1/2.
you can do it, signing is awesome and helps the kids be less frustrated with getting things across to the parents
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #15
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't afford those videos. Is there an alternative?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #16
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

I tried signing with dd when she was 3-4months old, but she was totally not interested so I dropped it till she was about 9 months old. Dh and i started consistantly signing about 3 words with her at meal time (eat, water, finished) and she picked up on those after a few weeks, we added some here and there, but neither of us know ASL so we were only learning the words for her and using a book to do it, it made some of the signs quite confusing to figure out. Just her knowing those few signs really made a difference in her communication, she stopped dumping her food on the floor when she was done eating and instead would sign to us she was finished so we could get her out of her chair. Then she started telling us she was finished in other situations. It was wonderful.

Then...when dd was about 11months old a friend gave us Baby Signing Time, EVERYONE'S vocabulary increased exponentially and now dd uses 25+ signs regularly and I believe she understands quite a few more, but doesn't use them yet. I don't think you NEED the DVDs, we were doing ok with just a book, but were too lazy to learn a lot of words that way. The DVDs just make it easier, you can see signs clearly and they are part of catchy songs so you remember them. Good luck learning, I've found it really fun and satisfying to sign with dd.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #17
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynjacy View Post
I can't afford those videos. Is there an alternative?
you can borrow the dvds form your local library, they arent the baby singing times but are the regular signing times, same maker just not the baby version
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:24 AM   #18
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will do that!