Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extreme Constipation in Two-Year-Old - Ideas?

actaully there are lots of ways to give calcium Milk is just one. any leafy grean veggie is high in calcium, and many foods these days are enriched with calcium. i dont know if soy is calcium enriched or not.. BUT my ped tells me that many children who are sensitive to cows milk are also sensitive to soy. this held true for my kiddos...

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.healthmart.com/supplement...ich-foods.html

here is a link for calcium rich foods.

also I forgot but for ahwile my dd ate the metamusil cracker things. they are like graham crackers. She jsut had to eat them with lots of water. ( but she is a water drinker anyway) but they worked.

then there is always prune juice for the over night fix...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
IsaMama
Registered Users

I`d be tempted to suggest trying the probiotics as well.
We feed DD (she`s 2 1/2) a yogurt a day called Activia. It contains more active bacteria (the good ones needed in your intestinal flora ) than the usual yogurt's acidophilus and bifidus. You have to check labels on yogurts though. Some are so processed that bacterias are basically killed and you end up just with a dessert without much benefits ! Activia is supposed to be for kids 3 and older, but I`d say that`s probably in general.
IsaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
idlewildponies
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD doesn't have this problem but one thing that certainly makes her go is SPINACH. And if you're looking for fiber, DD (14 mos) likes Kashi puff cereal (I eat it and she BEGS me for it. It's lightly sweetened. She also likes the Kashi TLC crackers, which are whole grains. As well as Kashi GoLean blueberry waffles.

Good luck!

Sarah
idlewildponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #15
aschrimp
Registered Users

My ds has very similar problems. He is still basically EBF (starting some solids very slowly) at 8 months, and has been getting constipated since he was about 3 mos old. We have to use supositories pretty regularly to get him to poop, because if he skips a single day, he will just stop pooping after that - we waited 7 days once, and he was miserable. We use the baby-lax glycerin suppositories. They don't usually even dissolve, they just provide enough stimulation to make him feel like he's gotta poop NOW, and a little lubrication to ease things out.

DS also had blood in his poop pretty regularly. We have been seeing a pediatric gasstorenterologisst for several months now, and I am on a very strict elimination diet (no dairy, soy, wheat, nuts). It has helped with the blood, and has helped some with the constipation, but we still have to use a suppository on average once a week, I would say.

We have a ton of bowel problems in our family, so we were maybe a little more on top of this than some parents would be. But my brother, father, and aunt have lost thier colons to uncerative colitis, and my other brother has celiac disease. Chronic constipation can be symptoms of both of these. I would seriously reccomend asking for a referral to a pediatric GI dr for an evaluation. My brother's first symptoms of UC were constipation, and his dr missed the diagnosis, and had him drinking prune juice for about 6 months that he ought to have been taking drugs to try to get the UC into remission.

It tends to be better to keep your kids pooping (no matter what it takes) because when they go for long periods of time without and get very backed up, the nerves and muscles of the rectum that signal to thier body that it's time to go get stretched out and damaged, and then they honestly don't feel like they need to poop until they are already quite backed up. We've decided that we won't let him skip more than one day, so on the second day, if he hasn't pooped, we use a suppository. By the second day, now that we are noticing these things, he is acting markedly uncomfortable. And in our experience, he has *never* gone on his own after skipping a day. This way, too, he never gets so backed up that it hurts him to poop (like he did the one time he went 7 days - that was not fun). We try to keep even the suppositories fun, we make up silly pooping songs, cheer him on, etc. We really don't want him to get into a pattern of avoiding pooping because of pain or other unpleasant associations.

I would second the regular, daily time on the potty for pooping. Obviously, I can't do that with my 8 mo old, but I've noticed that he usually poops in the morning when he is sitting on the floor playing with toys. So I really try to keep this time in our schedule, because if we are out and about, he will rarely take the time do poop - there are just too many other things to pay attention to.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Myy dd is 4 now, but we've had the same problem since she was 2.5 . About 4 months ago the Dr suggested giving her 2 tsp of Benefiber a day . We just mix it into her choc. milk and make sure she drinks plenty of water. Slowly but surely she is getting better. She will actually go to the toilet by herself now instead of me having to force her(screaming & crying) to do it. The more regular she gets and the more she realizes that it really doesn't hurt anymore, the more she is willing to try to go when she needs to. I know it's frustrating, but hang in there! It'll get better!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #17
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Brussel sprouts and brocoli (which has calcium) help.
You might also want to post this in an autisim thread somewhere since I have noticed that can be a common problem.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #18
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds is 4 and has been constipated for as long as I can remember. We tried pear juice and decreasing his milk consumption (he would drink 30 oz before breakfast). Neither worked at all. Then we tried mineral oil in orange juice. Didn't work either. Then we tried milk of magnesia on chocolate milk. After a few days of this he would have poop running downhis legs. So I never lasted past a few days because I couldn't see giving it to him when he was so loose already. Most of the time I just ignored the issue becuase he never really complained about it, but was going very very infrequently (as did I when I was a child). I think we also tried Citracel with juice but I don't know if we tried it long enough to see results.

Finally last summer he went a week without going, and was complaining that his "throat" hurt. I brought him into the doctor and he was just really constipated. We had to use a suppository and then started him on miralax. We did that for a few months and things were okay, but as soon as we started decreasing his dosage he would have problems. Eventually we ended up off the miralax and stilll constipated. In Feb. we started giving him a juice box of "Juice + Fibre" every day. It has the fiber of three apples in it. The apple variety he likes, but he tried the orange once and wouldn't drink it. We were doing really well, and he was having a bowel movement every day. We skipped a week in April (but he was drinking tons of juice though that week) and he had problems. Went back on the Juice + Fibre and was fine. Now he seems to be having trouble again despite drinking the juice. We may go back on Miralax.

In all of this ds is still not totally potty trained. He generally keeps it together in school, and wets his pants at home frequently. He poops on the toilet once every few months maybe. He was doing better at some point when he was on miralax. But once the constipation came back, that was it. I was hoping that once we got it under control again he would do better, but he hasn't.

Dd (17 months) is also having constipation problems, starting when she started solids. It stopped for a while when she started taking Zantac in Dec. (She is FTT and they thought she might have reflux). She is still on Zantac now, but the constipation started again a week ago or so. She has been tested for celiac and Hirshprung (sp?) syndrome (which can be a cause of constipation), and doesn't have them. The testing was because of the lack of weight gain, not the constipation. I may have to start going through all of the things we tried with ds to see what we can do.

Malka
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
Okiemunchkinsmom
Banned

My 5yr old has a condition that often causes severe constiption. A mom of another child with the same thing came up with this recipe, and it really does help.

" Poop Goop"
from the kitchen of Stacey Martin

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. Figs
1/2 lb. prunes
1 cup molasses
1/4 lb. Powered Senna
(from Senna leaves if powered is not available)

Directions:

1. Grind Figs and Prunes very finely and mix together
2. Warm Molasses
3. Add Senna to warm molasses and mix
4. Remove from heat and mix with the Fig and Prune mixture.
5. Stir well and preserve (KEEP IN FRIDGE)

(Stacey freezes the mixture in 1/4 tsp. amounts and takes out when ready to
use.)

*** Dosage is 1/4 tsp. Every night at bed time.
The Maximum dose is 1/2 tsp.
DO NOT EXCEED THIS.
**Constipation is common in children with Noonan syndrome please consult
your child's doctor before starting any new treatment.**

Good luck, I hope you find the answer soon!
Okiemunchkinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Mine is similar to the above. We do dried prunes that are chopped up. She likes to eat them that way now rather than blending them up. Plus 100%prune juice mixed with some apple juice. There is also a prune/pear mix of baby food that some kids prefer. Extra water, extra fiber (oatmeal is sometimes helpful), try eliminating dairy for a time. Establish regular poop times and keep her company. I made a real effort to watch for signs that she might need to go and talked alot about how pooping every day would help her not to hurt when she did go. Good luck!
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote