Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need some help

My bf (will be dh in september) and i wanna ttc this winter and I wanna do a home/water birth but no one in my town does it and the closest is 45 min at LEAST away and its water birth in a hospital and i really dont want that I was thinking maybe finding a doula and doing it at home but will doulas do that? I need info and references for info btw im in ohio and yes i know i have a while but i am a planner and this is driving me nuts

Advertisement

lindsayncadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Carrie
Registered Users

Re: Need some help

I think you'll need to find a direct entry midwife (as opposed to a certified nurse midwife) who does homebirths. Even if you have a doula you'll most likely want a midwife too...or at least I would. You can rent a tub for a waterbirth.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
punkmama3
Registered Users

Not all doulas will attend a homebirth without a midwife present (due to liability issues). Some won't do it without a certified midwife. It all depends on the doula. I'd look into midwives, and then doulas. Or both, whatever you feel comfortable with.
If I were you, I'd search google for homebirth midwives in your area. Then, try to find some direct entry ones. Talk to them, ask questions, etc. Some midwives will take you into their care before your pregnant. Also, you will have to pay out of pocket until they can be sure that they will be reimbursed (by your insurance).
In NY, direct entry midwives can't practice at all. Although they do, it's more like an underground midwifery practice, and they risk going to jail.
Make sure to see if it's legal to have a homebirth as well. That might be why you can't find a homebirth midwife.
If that's the case, then you may have to settle for an unassisted birth. With that, you don't have to see a midwife or OB, but you can. Some don't like the idea of an unassisted and will do everything to convince you to go to the hospital, even using scare tactics into going (i.e.: your baby will die. That's a popular one.). If you do decide to to have an OB or midwife, and you don't feel comfortable telling them you're going unassisted, then you don't have to. It's not mandatory that you say something. Just be prepared to stand your ground when telling them what you do and don't expect (like tests, sonos, etc)
If you don't want an OB or Midwife, you can do an unassisted pregnancy as well. If you can, do as much research on that as well.
Try reading some books too.
I have found that I really like:
Henci Goer's Thinking women's guide to a better birth
There is also Gentle birth choices
Ina May Gaskins Spiritual Midwifery is also good (but it was written forever ago, so keep that in mind, lol)

There are more, hopefully someone else can give you more ideas on books.

Whatever you decide, good luck. And make sure you research as much as you can!

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0

Last edited by punkmama3; 05-16-2006 at 08:59 PM.
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
punkmama3
Registered Users

Here are some links I've found:
http://www.123gold.com/midwife/#oh
http://geocities.com/ohiofriendsofmidwives/
http://choicemidwives.org/statistics.htm
http://my.stratos.net/~midwife/
http://www.narm.org/aphares.htm
http://midwifeinfo.com/find/show_ins...=12&hbstate=OH

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the links ! Still no one within and hour of my area closest was 1 hr grrr. I guess i could go to a reg midwife and not tell her about UC but i do KIND of want someone there but if its not possible I can get more info on UC
lindsayncadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hey!! if you remember anything i ever said on the other board, youll know i was going for unassisted pregnancy and birth, a lot of good that did :sigh:

but yeah, as far as how far away, i dont know how to help with that, i couldnt find any within 2 hours, either and i was even asking around, and had my mom calling all over the place. then i found a free standing birth center that my doctor referred me to that wanted to do more medical intervention than the doctors did (!) so i just didnt go back to anyone from 36 weeks on.

and yeah, "your baby will die" or "you will die" etc would definitely be big ones that yud hear i f you tell anyone in the medical community about it in general... and lots of times other people as well.
if you want to be seen by a midwife during pregnancy, then you just gotta do some searching, and if you cant find one close, see about where she practices

sometimes a doula may be present without a midwife, it depends on the laws in your state and the doula...

i totally want to go for the home water birth next time, too like i did to begin with but when it happens will dictate a lot of what i do ....and if i actually go into labor and if the baby needs out.....

good luck finding info, etc
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you go unassisted, this book has everything you need to know for every situation, and it's at the library, just ask them to send it to your town (its free): Special Delivery by Rahima Baldwin

For your inspiration, I had an unassisted home waterbirth and was 45 min. from any hospital, and all went well.

Here's some other ideas:
Do you have any experienced mama friends that would be there with you?
Maybe a midwife would come and stay with you? It's worth a try to ask.
I seriously considered getting a vacation rental with a big tub, you could get one in a town where a midwife is.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

homebirth is not illegal in any state. i would ask a doula about a midwife too
Old 05-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
homebirth is not illegal in any state. i would ask a doula about a midwife too
but practising medicine without a license is....thats a major door in the face when youre looking to do this type of thing, of who you can havre attend. depending on where you live....a good thing to do could be have a midwife " friend who just happened over while youre in labor" if its a problem...

Last edited by *~Mindy~*; 05-17-2006 at 08:04 PM.
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok closest midwife who does homebirth is 2 hr away and one gave me the CHOICE number for my state (yes i emailed them!!) So mindy did you have UC?

Do you have any experienced mama friends that would be there with you? not really im a young mommy and my mama friends are SOO not crunchy lol they wouldnt go for it
Maybe a midwife would come and stay with you? It's worth a try to ask.
I seriously considered getting a vacation rental with a big tub, you could get one in a town where a midwife is. I dont have a lot of money so i dont even know how i would afford that....

also cant find a doula