Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
stephaniez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wilton Color Chart for Yarn

Thank you so much for posting this! Since I discovered your chart, I decided to give dying my own yarn a try-- spurred by Michael's having a 50% Lion Fisherman Wool sale. My kitchen has never seen me so much! Very fun, but I must say it made me appreciate the creativity and hard work from the awesome ladies that I have bought hand painted and kettle dyed yarn from in the past!

On a side note, I have completely given up on using Wilton's for blues other than the sky blue, purples, and blacks...I found a scientific explanation for the reason they don't work, but I won't bore anybody Here's a picture of my progress:

Thanks again!

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
NoellaBelle
Registered Users

My Mood:

Stephanie,

GORGEOUS Yarn!!! I'm so glad that my little experiment chart helped! You should sell your stuff it's that good! I especially LOVE your orange, yellow, red, brown, & lt blue colorway.

I mainly only use sky blue too....especially when I'm dyeing yarn for ds...I don't care if purple shows up some in girly yarn as much.

I think I'm going to get some black acid dye as someone on here said you could dye with both at the same time...I don't really want to have to buy all the colors in acid dyes, since I have such a boatload of wiltons already and most of them work perfect!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
ksgreenlee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Total newbie here, but I am just wondering a dumb question, how do you actually die all the different colors and keep it going? Do you just sit there and unravel the yarn and put it in a dish for a minute then keep going with the next dish of dye and so on? Does this ? make sense... I guess is there a dying picture tutorial out there?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
stephaniez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Noel -
Oh, you are so sweet! I don't think I could ever find the time and energy to dye for others-- but what a compliment My husband joked with me, he said the next thing he knew we'd have a giant spinning wheel and sheep in our backyard. I laughed an evil laugh

And Kristin -

Yes, makes complete sense. I did mine two different ways. There is hand painting where you skein up your yarn into a big circle, soak it in water and vinegar, lay it out on saran wrap, "paint" or pour your dye on in sections, cover it in a pyrex pie plate and nuke it in the mircrowave. Here's my favorite tutorial on that:

http://keeponknittinginthefreeworld....-tutorial.html

Then there is kettle dying in a crock pot. In this method, you soak your yarn, put it in a crock pot, then pour your dye in sections. I thought it would get all muddled up and look a mess, but if you use good color combinations, it comes out really nice. Here's a good tutorial on that (and hand painting):

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/FEATdyeyourown.html

Good luck! BTW, I'm a photographer, too

Last edited by stephaniez; 02-27-2009 at 03:40 PM.
stephaniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
ksgreenlee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much Stephanie! That makes more sense to me now!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
ksgreenlee
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh one last question: does it work to dye a knit or crochet piece AFTER it's been made with a yarn that has no color (like the whole soaker) using these methods?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
stephaniez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know mamas that have dyed wool interlock with kool-aid, but I've never tried it myself :0
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
tjdunn
Registered Users

My Mood:

They look great; I'm loving that last one with the brown and black.
tjdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
amski
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh man!!! bookmarking this!
amski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 AM   #20
katwmn75
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm curious if you can use this chart as a reference for dying wool interlock? I just made a soaker for a mama and dyed it with Wilton's but like the PP said you never know for sure what your going to get. Here's a picture of the result. (don't mind I couldn't get the dang thing to lay right for the picture) It turned out super bright which is what she wanted so I'm happy. I had done it before with food coloring but never Wiltons so I was pleasantly suprised.