Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:42 AM   #11
sparkygirl74
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: "If she'd just talk to her, she would start talking!" gmil and mil rant

Delaney went from prety much pointing and grunting at twenty two months to speaking in full sentences and saying hundreds of words. She will be two on the ninth. It is crazy.
I think it is great that you are having her evaluated. It is nice to know what is going on, instead of just speculating.
Even though I knew nothing was wrong with Del,(late talkers run in my family, they seem to go along with high IQs ) it was hard to not worry with so many people outside my family expressing concern.

Please let us know how the evaluation goes!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 09:12 AM   #12
iamweiser
Registered Users

We knew there was a problem with ds at 4 mo of age. My sis and I thought perhaps autism and had him looked at 11 mo. She said wait a little more and eval again at 18 mo. My fam said he's fine. MIL said he's just like dh. That was supposed to be reassuring. I took it that dh is probably special needs too! The dr said he's a typical rambunctious 2 yo boy. I insisted on the eval. He accused me of wanting to medicate my son because I couldn't handle him. Yet at 2 he had only 3 words; he began therapy. Speech and OT. A yr ago he was finally diagnosed with Autism--after MANY evals. I do his therapy now and schooling myself. Most people are surprised when I say he's autistic. He signs. He speaks the way a typical 4 yo should (though he's 5). He can socialize and play. And this past summer GMIL said, "Can't you do anything about him?" I wanted to hit her. She's 94 also, so I didn't. I smiled sweetly and said, "Yes, we are so happy about his progress! Everyone says how well he's doing. He has autism, so it's difficult for him to learn, and yet he is learning. It's so exciting." She nodded her head and looked at my 4 kids some more. Then she said, "Well, can't you do something about the rest of them?" I had to walk away. My kids were just playing nicely--perhaps a bit loudly--in MIL's living room.

The ray of hope: after the first eval, MIL stopped her comments. DH and I decided that buying books for our parents would help them understand. We bought my mom the book suggested for dh and I to read by the dr's doing the eval. We bought my dad and MIL a simplified book found on Amazon. It was shorted and very simplified. And MIL read it and understood better. Now we have a lot of support from ALL fam members--except GMIL.

Oh, and GREAT sign videos: Signing Time. There are something like 13 of them now. ds understood sign but didn't use it until we bought first video. Now his sign vocab grows with very little teaching. We found with him that the more sign we did, the more vocal he became. Don't give up!

Last edited by iamweiser; 11-26-2006 at 09:17 AM.
iamweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

im sorry to hear about your in laws. i hope ECI is able to do a good evaulation. my son will be 4 on dec 2nd and talks ALOT but alot of it isn't easy to understand, i am getting him evaluated through EPU here in my area and see whats going on, i know he can hear just fine, he used to talk better and clearer before danae was born and then it went to jibberish, he is talking alot again but its just not the same, so once i get him an appointment to get this done, we will see where it all stands and what we can do to help him ~goodluck to you and your doing a wonderful job
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you need to igonre what other people say about your parenting. People are always going to make hurtful comments . Of course you talk to your child!!! You are a very good mom who is doing the right thing. Get alll the evaluations and tests you can and you are on the right path. They maybe saying things like that because they are in denial. They feel if you just talked to the child everything would be fine, that there really is no problem. You are a good mom doing the right things and don't deserve to hear comments like that when you are obviously already concerned. Take care mamma keep up the good work!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

What a rude thing to say. My DS didn't talk until he was 20-21 months old. He said nothing at all. Now he never quits, even talks in his sleep..lol. You are such a good mama taking care of her and making sure she has all the evaluations she needs. My DDs are also 2 months premature so I know about the worry with the development. Having 3 at once really shows how babies just do their own thing. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #16
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wondering, have you had her hearing checked? I ask because both of my nephews were really slow in talking and a lot of their speech was really unintelligible but they did seem to understand what was being said, it turned out that they had a lot of fluid in the ears and both wound up having surgery to put tubes in their ears and after that both of their speech improved DRAMATICALLY. The oldest (who was 3) took a little longer to catch up but is right where he should be now, at age 4.

Anyway, it could be something completely different but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
Thanks, his grandma is 94 so I know I need to cut her some slack, heck she still refers to Sage as he and him most of the time. But his mom makes comments all the time "You need to wean at 6 weeks, I fed Billy cereal at 2 weeks and he's fine, Billy slept on his belly on a quilt and he didn't die, etc" It is just frustrating.

We do sign with her. I started around 8-9 months, just like with Maia, She signed back for the first time at just over 14 months. She signs more, please, and milkie, I saw All Done for the first time today. The ones that get her things are obviously the most motivating. We sign dirty (for diaper change) thank you, help, bath, no, stop, drink, eat, book, hurt, and sorry. I think she understands them all but she doesn't sign them back. Her comprehension seems to be pretty good, it has picked up in the last 2 months. Other than hi, mama and dada everything else is unintelligible to anyone else. I can understand "this" and "day do" is thank you. It is so hard though because she gets so angry about it and is starting to throw lots of temper tantrums because we don't know what she wants.

Thanks for listening

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 PM   #17
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

She had appointments with the audiologist and the ENT 2 weeks ago. There were 3 sounds she didn't respond to but they said at her age you couldn't be sure if it was because she couldn't hear or because she didn't care to look She does have some fluid in her ears but the ENT said since it was clear fluid he would prefer we wait it out.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #18
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you are doing a wonderful job Momma!!! I call this the foot in mouth syndrome. I am fortunate that my ILs dont do it to me. But, they do to my SIL. I have actually spoken to my Mom about it, and her response was..... Even thought that you may not do things the same way that I did doesn't mean that it is wrong. I would never say anything unless I felt that Lauren (DD) was in harms way. One of the many reasons I love my Mom.

At 18mo my dd had very few words. She was a point and Uhh type of girl. Her verbal skills really started to blossom at 24mo. Right after her birthday. She has by far passed any of her peers. If doing the testing will put your mind at ease, I say go for it. However, she may just be lazy like my stinker was. Now, there are times I wish she would go back to pointing. It's harder for her to sass that way.

Good luck!!
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #19
Bare Bottom Gear
Cruelty is a tyrant that's always attended with fear
Formerly: SAHMTo2
seller

My Mood:

mama, mil can be rough!

Check out my other FSOT items, I've got diapers, yarn and fiber for sale!!
Bare Bottom Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #20
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I taught her to say cracker!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt mean doing it because she was getting a bit upset, but I wanted to see if I could teach her. Yesterday my babysitter had the flu and older dd was at my parents so I stayed home form school, just Sage and I.

I got out a box of Earth's Best Sesame Crackers held one up and said "Cracker, this is a cracker." and then gave it to her, I did this maybe 5 times and then repeated that and had her sign "more" to get one. That only took about 2 crackers because "more" is one of the sign's she does. Then I added in signing "more please" Each time I did this I was sure to name it for her saying "Cracker, this is a cracker. Can you say 'more cracker please?" When she just kept signing "more please" I would say and sign "more CRACKER please" really emphasizing Cracker. It took about 20 more crackers but she is now saying cracker. I am already regretting teaching it to her she asked for "Ca-ca" all day today!

So I guess if they meant direct language instruction, no I hadn't done much like that but I didn't do that with Maia anyway. If it were snack time and she was getting Crackers I might say This is a cracker. See a cracker." BUt I never spent that amount of time on teaching a word

Last edited by mommyto3girls; 11-29-2006 at 01:21 PM.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote