Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: have you ever...

No way!

But back when most of us were little seatbelts were something people didn't use, and if they did, there surely wasn't a need for a carseat! just like most people didn't have insurance.

Now I've seen all kinds of interesting things. I had a friend when miranda was only months old, and we had to pick up her husband, well she had a van but it only had 2 rows of seats. so me and her rode Behind the last row of seats so I could get to my house. I've been in cars without wearing my seatbelt.. but very RARELY. So i was already nervous.. and then the kids started screaming. Well actually her 17 month old's screaming was waking up my 3 month old, So what did she do? she took him out of his carseat on the freeway going 70MPH so he could ride back with us. Now, it's bad enough we gotta ride back there, but put a child back there with us for no reason other than he was throwing a fit? She then asked me if I wanted to take miranda back here, that was okay...

I don't know what Planet she lived on, but here in this one we got a thing known as Gravity.. we get in a wreck on the freeway we aren't just going to go floating around.. we are going to be flying from our spots, and I would alteast like to know that my daughter isn't seriously injured because of my stupidity. lol

I don't mess around in the car. I buckle her in. She stays there in the middle of the backseat until the car is no longer moving. I don't care if she throws a fit. I don't care if she doesn't want in her seat. She gets over it relatively quickly, and if she doesn't then I wish we wouldn't of left the house, that that I wished i wouldn't of had to buckle her in. lol

My sister used to think it was fun to put her kids on her lap and drive around the block or whatever. I think it's the stupidest Idea my sister ever had.

That's my opinion. Accidents happen normally when you are close to home.. You know the roads so you don't worry.. But you never know when your choice to put her child in the car without thier belt on, or to BF on the highway or whatever might be the last choice you get to make with that child.. Well besides Funeral Arrangements. And that thought is what scares the hell out of me. it's why i don't take the chance.

I don't wanna scare everyone to death.. but it's the truth. Bad things can happen.. and do. I hear about it everyday on the news. wonder who will be next?

Advertisement

jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #12
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMegan View Post
I take it back. Melissa made me remember....

I did take Ash out of her carseat because DH couldn't get pulled off fast enough-- she's been stopping breathing in her sleep -- even when upright (as in, in her carseat, not just her back)-- she'll start gasping and making ties horrid noise and shaking (and our doctor doesn't think it's cause for concern so we're in the process of finding a new one).... SHe started doing it so grabbed her out and started rubbing her stomach and giving her CPR. Fun stuff.
Wow scary!

my post didn't include things like that. If it was a case like that i wouldn't expect someone to wait until they got pulled over to deal with it. lol

I hope you find a new doctor soon!
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
havanadaydreamin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I did the other day. We were going about 3 houses away to see some animals and I just put her in my lap to take her there. DH was driving.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In a case of an emergency yes I would but other than that no.

We just went on an 8 hour trip w/ Lily who doesn't like to ride in cars. I had to learn how to lean over and BF her. It worked though kept her happy (for the most part).
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
westend
Banned
seller

I have, but it was an emergency, my daughter was mid seizure and I didnt wanna pay another $300 for an ambulance to take me 2 blocks, so I called my sister. We didnt bother with the time to take the seat and install it.....
I held her in my arms, seizing the whole way
westend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #16
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Nope NEVER! My FIL wanted me to leave the carseat home last christmas (noah was 5 months) because if I used it someone would have to ride on the scooter. EXCUSE Me but sorry if I have to be the one riding the scooter then fine as long as my child is in a carseat I will freeze to ensure Noahs safety. Needless to say my IN LAWS never never never will drive Noah anywhere with out me there because I do not trust them!

Also this past week MIL, FIL DH, DS , and I rented a minivan it took me over 30 mintutes to install the car seat and FIL was really PO'd at how anal I was about it! GIVE ME A break if I was not then that would be the issue. OH and BTW he is retired Cop yup go figure!

sorry to hijack so no I would never ever not use the car seat but I believe they SAVE lives!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally haven't, but did find out my dad took my 4yo (42lb) DS w/o a booster once. I make a point to keep a booster at my mom's and if my dad is taking them I make a point to NEVER forget and ALWAYS remind that he still needs a booster. My dad also was letting my then 7-8yo DS' ride in the front seat which I put a stop to ASAP. I asked him that if God forbid he DID get in an accident, could he live with himself if one of the boys was decapitated from his airbag right next to him?? Is it even WORTH the risk?? Absolutely not.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #18
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont leave a boosters at my moms house when she has them. Nor do i leave a carseat. That is becaseu my mom is NOT allowed to drive with them in the car. My mom is an alcoholic, who may or may not be drinking. ( i relaly dont think she drinks when shehas my kids) but i am not going to risk her drving drunk withmy kids in the car. so therefore, no car seats. and she is a nurse, and used to be ER at county. I am certainshewould never drive without a carseat,( unles someone was litterally dying..)

I dotn think there is anything wrong with my strapping my older 2 kids, almost 5 and 6, into the front seat when we are on my street.I dont live on a main street, and acatully, excpet for at 2 pm, there are not alot of cars on my steet ever. i am deep in a neighborhood. and most pplhave kids and ppl are driving slower becaseu kids are playing...

I say we all do things that others woudl never do as a parent. But those are OUR choices. not others..
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #19
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
I had to learn how to lean over and BF her. It worked though kept her happy (for the most part).
i wanna know how!!!! please enlighten me we have to drive 9 hours to pick up my lil sis at college in lynchburg next week...id loke to do it w/o a ton of stops!!!!
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
i wanna know how!!!! please enlighten me we have to drive 9 hours to pick up my lil sis at college in lynchburg next week...id loke to do it w/o a ton of stops!!!!
we have a mini van I put Lily in the back in the middle and just lean over. Im small breasted and I can do it. Sometimes the bumps would cause her to deltach and I couldn't do it comfortably for too long but I mainly did it for the times she wants to nurse to go to sleep. For her actually longer feedings we stopped.
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote