Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #21
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: have you ever...

Absolutely not.

Someone I know visited another country, where car seats aren't law, and let her 1.5 year old ride in the car without one. And she allows her father to let him (now older) sit in the car without a carseat every so often. :bandhead:

The leaning over while bf sounds great- like it can be a real time saver, etc... but let me caution you, it is very very very dangerous. If you were to get into an accident while doing that, it would hurt your child, if not worse.

Advertisement

Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #22
4BoysMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs169 View Post
The leaning over while bf sounds great- like it can be a real time saver, etc... but let me caution you, it is very very very dangerous. If you were to get into an accident while doing that, it would hurt your child, if not worse.

the seats were not designed to absorb the force of an adults bodyweight leanign on it should a crash happen, and theoretically you run the risk of the seat snapping in half of injuring baby with your body being flung into them.
It also puts mom out of proper positioning as far as where the seat belt is on her.

Haven't joined the swagbucks craze yet? I've earned $85 in amazon gcs, so can you!
Easy Lunch Boxes - The Best LunchBoxes Easylunchboxes.com
4BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #23
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I have....very, very rarely, but yes, I have. Like if the traffic was totally stopped on the highway and I had a baby screaming to be fed or if we were on some very lightly traveled backroads in the same situation with no safe place to pull over.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #24
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Yes. When we took Presley to the ER at 3am last week and she wasn't breathing. There was no way in hell I was going to strap her into that carseat when she was barely taking in any air. I kept her up against my chest in the backseat so I could hear her breathing.

DH used to let Caedmon sit in the front seat to go on "special rides" to various places that he thought were close enough to our house to be safe. One of these places was 12 blocks away!!! I put a stop to that real quick! My dad has taken Caedmon (5 years old, 60lbs) in the back seat of his F150 w/o a booster.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #25
Dsunny1
Registered Users

NO, I have never not used a car seat, nor would I. I can't say anything more without offending anyone. I will just read and try not to panick due to the O.C.C.S.D. (Obsessive Compulsive Car Seat Disorder) that I have diagnosed myself as having Thank God there is a job out there that allows me to be as obesessive as I want about them. Jen
I do have to say, please don't lean over your babies to Breast Feed, They literally become your airbag in a crash.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #26
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with the only to the ER while not breathing crowd... Luckily for us it's like 1/2 a mile down the road on our military base. DS wasn't breathing and DH even blew a red light. Things like that are super scary and with a preemie you just grab and go.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:05 PM   #27
4BoysMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsunny1 View Post
NO, I have never not used a car seat, nor would I. I can't say anything more without offending anyone. I will just read and try not to panick due to the O.C.C.S.D. (Obsessive Compulsive Car Seat Disorder) that I have diagnosed myself as having Thank God there is a job out there that allows me to be as obesessive as I want about them. Jen
I do have to say, please don't lean over your babies to Breast Feed, They literally become your airbag in a crash.
what she said. I think I have OCCSD too a bit. I will say thought that the *temptation* has been there to not buckle when I stop to feed the baby after shopping at Target and we are still headed to Costco across the shopping center parking lot and I reeeeeally don't want to wake him, but in his seat he goes even if it wakes him up.

Haven't joined the swagbucks craze yet? I've earned $85 in amazon gcs, so can you!
Easy Lunch Boxes - The Best LunchBoxes Easylunchboxes.com
4BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM   #28
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

No...my mom has I am hating not having a running vehicle right now b/cI have to strap in the car seats EVERY time I go anywhere, but I still make sure they are installed properly. I took 10 minutes on DD2's and 25 min on DD1's today (I then double checked my nieces, which was way too loose)
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #29
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I almost did..one of those freaking out ER trips. I decided to buckle him in and haul a$$. I made dh ride with us to keep a close eye on ds. Only other time he was not wearing a traditional seatbelt was in the ambulance. But he sure was buckled down tight onto the gurney thing. Scariest time of my life.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #30
A'smommy
Registered Users

Once. We were riding in a van with a group. I've never lived where public transportation was common and wasn't sure of the rules, but I thought the driver would speak up when we boarded if we needed a carseat. He didn't. Other people did after the fact and we took a cab back. Not that I was all that confident in the little strap-seat-thingee in the cab either...and DD hated it! (She hated the cab driver too, for some reason. Maybe he smelled bad? ) Anyway, NEVER AGAIN!

Someone please enlighten me: What's the rule, for example, in an airport shuttle bus? Like from a outlying parking lot to the terminal? What's the rule for riding a bus on city streets? Or a subway?

In rural West Texas we don't have such creatures....