Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Choosing a cotton flat

I'm trying to find a cotton flat that I can use for stuffing my son's BG 4.0s. He is on the tallest rise now and our small prefolds are just too short. The medium prefolds I have are too bulky. So, I'm hoping cotton flats are the ticket! My son is already 20 months, so I don't want to invest tons at this point. My choices I think are:
-GMD one size
-Ozocozy
-cottonbabies flats
Any opinions?

Advertisement

yogamama28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
jenslp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Choosing a cotton flat

My GMD one size flats fit in the BG 4.0's on the tallest rise.
jenslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
zorabete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My GMD one size are all I use to stuff my BG 4.0 for day time, and they fit nicely on the tallest rise. I fold into quarters and then thirds for 12 layers, and it's definitely more trim than a pad folded small or medium prefold, as well as more pliable. A GMD large will also fit, but is a fair bit bulkier, and not necessary for us for daytime. I do use a large diaper rite bamboo flat with a Geffen hemp prefold for overnight, and the diaper rite large flat is less bulky I think because it is more rectangular than square, so it folds a bit differently.
zorabete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I vote gmd out of the options given. I'm pretty sure cotton babies flats are osocozy. I have both brands and use both in the early days. The absorbency is about the same as an infant prefold but if all you're concerned with is size and trimness and not softness osocozy is cheaper. They have gotten tougher with use where the gmd have gotten softer. But after 3 years of use the gmd are getting small holes and the osocozy aren't.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysmama View Post
I vote gmd out of the options given. I'm pretty sure cotton babies flats are osocozy. I have both brands and use both in the early days. The absorbency is about the same as an infant prefold but if all you're concerned with is size and trimness and not softness osocozy is cheaper. They have gotten tougher with use where the gmd have gotten softer. But after 3 years of use the gmd are getting small holes and the osocozy aren't.

Are the GMD bleached good enough? I can't stand when the edges of flats roll in and I'm guessing GMD flats will roll less than Ozocozy?
I need 36, so for cost reasons I guess I'd rather go with bleached. My son is starting to ask to go pee and poop on the potty and we don't want anymore kids so I don't want to spend too much.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Any other brands I'm not considering that I should?
Old 02-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28
Any other brands I'm not considering that I should?
large diaper rite...they are better size for the largest rise setting than the gmd one size IMO. By far my fav flats, I have unbleached and they are just amazing. No curling edges, super soft and absorbent.

*Deirdre* married to the love of my life and momma to our 5 great kids. Expecting #6 in June 2016!
Married to the love of my life and lucky momma to our 5 kids! Pregnant with #6!

Last edited by mommadeeof4+; 02-07-2016 at 04:37 PM.
mommadeeof4+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+ View Post
large diaper rite...they are better size for the largest rise setting than the gmd one size IMO. By far my fav flats, I have unbleached and they are just amazing. No curling edges, super soft and absorbent.

*Deirdre* married to the love of my life and momma to our 5 great kids. Expecting #6 in June 2016!

The large cotton? Are they super bulky? I have medium prefolds that I had planned on using but my son is freaking out at the bulk difference between the smalls and them (I think the extra width in the crotch is what bothers him).
Old 02-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama28 View Post
The large cotton? Are they super bulky? I have medium prefolds that I had planned on using but my son is freaking out at the bulk difference between the smalls and them (I think the extra width in the crotch is what bothers him).
Yes the large cotton. Not bulky at all, much more trim than my medium prefolds!
Married to the love of my life and lucky momma to our 5 kids! Pregnant with #6!
mommadeeof4+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #10
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Osocozy edges are bulkier just thicker I guess so that annoying but I haven't noticed any difference in the Gmd and them for the rolling edge issue. About equal. I do agree about the size. The os are going to be a tad short when pad folding so it makes the folding different like instead of in half you fold it down 2/3rds before trifolding. I wasn't a fan of that. Large flats are only slightly less bulky. If you have a sweet iris xl they are a third thicker than that pad folded. But the nice thing is you can fold it so it's not too wide for his liking. Personally if absorbency isn't your issue is go with the smaller ones since you care about trimness. If you think you might not pt soon then it might be good to size up. Lol I'm no help at all lol
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote