Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Is Gain as good as Tide? Cleaning and Stains

I just noticed that there is a big price difference between them. I have hard water, so am using Borax in each load. At one point I did Calgon, but way more expensive and at Fluff University they recommend the Borax.

I'm looking at the powder.

I was using Tide until now, but would like to change if it's comparable. Does it also work well on removing clothing stains?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Is Gain as good as Tide? Cleaning and Stains

Some feel it is better than Tide. I think the only for you to know for sure is to try it out. Different detergents work differently for each person as we all have a unique situation- diapers, pipes, level of hardness, concentration and chemical makeup of urine, washers.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

For me, tide works noticeably better than gain. I just finished up a box of gain, but I am so glad that it's gone, and from now on I'll stick with tide!

(We use powder. Both brands were 'original' scent.)
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use tide powder...never tried gain
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
carverjill
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I recently got liquid HE Gain in the apple mango scent. I've only used it on 3 diaper loads but everything seems comparable to the liquid HE Tide F&C I had been using other the scent. I can't believe how much my diapers smell like the apple/mango scent in the detergent. I smell it while they are washing, when I walk into the room they are drying in and when I pull one out of the drawer to put on DD. I like the scent but think its a little bit much. I've also heard that all the perfumes we use aren't good for you. I probably won't get the Gain again. I had the same issue with the scented blue tide.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
. I think the only for you to know for sure is to try it out. Different detergents work differently for each person as we all have a unique situation- diapers, pipes, level of hardness, concentration and chemical makeup of urine, washers.
I agree with this. There is really no way for you to know is to try it. It depends on everything vrs the just the detergent itself.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've heard Gain works for people with soft water than people with hard water and I've also heard people switching back to Tide because of stink problems. We also tried the apple mango tango scent and it was SO strong. I washed sheets and couldn't even sleep on them because I got a headache and couldn't stop smelling it. It was terrible. All Gain scents to me are really, really strong. Tide original is not nearly as strong to me, and I feel like after washing and drying it's not really noticeable.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
pixie310
Registered Users
seller

We have hard water and I used gain and it made my diapers stink really bad. I didn't have a problem with tide though. Now I use arm and hammer with oxyclean and I have no problems with stinks and they come out extra clean. Plus it's a lot cheaper . Not sure if it's recommended as cloth diaper safe but I've been using it for over a year and have no stink or repelling problems
Old 06-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
risata
Registered Users
seller

I agree that you probably just have to try & see. Gain does not work as well as tide for us, as far as stain removal. I do think it gets diapers clean but haven't used it on diapers for any length of time, just a load or 2 here and there. I do like it for clothes though.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

I use Gain Original on our clothes and Tide Free on diapers. I don't want diapers to be scented, but I love the Gain smell on our clothes. I've never noticed a difference in their cleaning power, they're both excellent.

Mama to 5: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and expecting someone new 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote