Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Diaper Sprayer... Necessary or no?

I wasn't planning to purchase a diaper sprayer because a lot of reviews/websites I've read have said that they're not really necessary. Well... I babysat for my cousin's 3mo this weekend. She is formula fed and uses disposable diapers. She had a MAJOR poop blowout while I watching her, it was definitely a very runny poo and it was EVERYWHERE. So that got me thinking... what would I have done if that had been my own LO and he (or she) was in a cloth diaper? I know you're supposed to "dispose" of the poo once a baby starts on formula or solids before washing. I have some of the flushable liners and was planning to use those after we stop breastfeeding and/or start solids but I'm fairly certain a liner wouldn't have contained this mess. So I guess I'm asking... if you use a diaper sprayer do you think it's necessary and very helpful? Or do you think I could get by with the liners and then in a case like this one just rinse out any "leftovers" in the sink or tub?

Advertisement

amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Diaper Sprayer... Necessary or no?

We've cloth diapered for almost ten years and several children and never used a sprayer so they certainly aren't a necessity. If it needs rinsing we swish it in the toilet and throw it in the diaper pail.

As a side note, if baby is exclusively breastfed you don't have to rinse at all because breastmilk is so water soluble.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Good to know, thank you! Have to keep telling myself that I can do this! LOL
Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can! It's really not bad! Is this your first?
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a diaper sprayer and I never use it! I'd totally rather swish in the toilet.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Yes it is. I've been doing all the research I can and coming here with questions which is super helpful. I've never known anyone who cloth diapered and my family thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do it but I am bound and determined. I know it will save us so much money in the long run.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
BRXB
Registered Users
seller

We've cloth-diapered five kids and never had one...I bought one used recently to try out with this next baby. So we'll see. But no, not a necessity. We had blowouts all the time with disposables before we started with cloth, but I have honestly never had one with a cloth diaper/cover combo. Totally unexpected perk of CDing!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Not a necessity. I just installed mine yesterday (had it for a couple of years) since LO started solids. I used it for the first time last night and it was actually really awesome! Liners are easy to use when the baby has more solid, ploppable poop, but that doesn't happen for quite some time in my experience. The runnier, sticky stuff came off really nicely with the sprayer and I didn't have any splattering issues. I would expect that we won't use it much after he quits breastfeeding around a year though and his poop becomes more solid.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #9
blue_bug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine is ebf, but I still use the sprayer with her diapers. A necessity, no, but it gets more of the poop off first so less staining after washing. I love mine.
blue_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
Lindobebe
Registered Users
seller

We just have a kitchen sink in our bathroom which came with a sprayer so that work great
Lindobebe is offline   Reply With Quote