Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
turtle1234
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting past the poo

Ok I'm having a hard time getting past the poo again. I'm determined to cloth diaper the third baby due in November but I'm already having a hard time rinsing the poo off my 20 month old daughters diaper. And then I worry about how often will I need to clean my front loading wash machine. Or do these washers hold up well with cloth diapers?

What works best for you in dealing with the poo? I need words of encouragement and some advice cause I'm not gonna give up again.

Advertisement

turtle1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting past the poo

I'm so glad you posted this. My lo is about to start solids and I'm starting to panic about the change in how to deal with the solid poo.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

I am not squimish so I might not be the best person to ask. The only bodily fluids I don't like are blood in large volume or vomit. Pee and PPP don't bother me.

Machines are supposed to be washed monthly anyways. I let mine go two sometimes without issue. I spray all poo off before washing. I've heard people worry about splatter but I've had it happen twice ever. I've been cding for over 3 years. It's all about the water pressure and the angle. And keeping your toilet clean so you're ok with spraying in the bowl not hovering over it.

Ebf is nice and I'm loving just washing my nb diapers without spraying but I don't think it's too bad to spray the 3-4 toddler poop diapers we have with two in diapers.

If anything just cd the baby. 6 months will still save you a ton of money
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, I've cloth diapers and I've disposable diapered. Cloth diapers need poop rinsed from them. Clothing with leaked poop need to be rinsed. Guess I found rinsing poopy diapers to be less gross than rinsing poopy clothes and washing poop covered babies in public bathroom sinks. And yes, I did that last with my disposal diapered daughter. Not fun to try washing neck to feet poop off of an infant at the Walmart bathroom. Then what to do with poop covered clothing? Not 100% sure but I think I wound up tossing the outfit. I have had leaks with cloth, just never on as grand a scale as I had with disposables. But, either way, I dealt with poop.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 06-24-2016 at 09:22 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

For toddler poo...do you have a diaper sprayer? Once I got down spraying, it was honestly less than a minute and the poo was in the toilet and the diaper in the pail. I take the diaper and fold in half so the poo is out and hold it by the ends. Hold it deep down in the toilet and aim the sprayer down toward the toilet water (not perpendicular to the diaper). I give one side a good spray to really get it wet, turn it around and do the same to the other side, then go back to the wet side and that poo falls right off with a second spray and back to the second side again. Fold it up and into the pail.

For the ebf poo, just drop them in the washer. I have never washed my washer. I didn't know that was something I was supposed to do. Been diapering for 5-1/2 years...maybe I should do that.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
turtle1234
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am debating on the diaper sprayer and am thinking it's gonna happen one way or the other. I just hate to spend even more money but hey I've already spent a ton on disposables. I'll probably get it this weekend. I'm just glad my daughter is liking the cloth diapers finally. I tried when her poo finally turned solid and all she did was get mad at the cloth. Now she just loves them so I don't want to give up. But she's lactose intolerant, won't drink soy milk so I let her eat cheese etc for calcium. So her poo is not as solid anymore. I did pretty good today rinsing the poo one in the toilet so I think I'll be able to push through. Plus she's been peeing right throw disposables at night and all that laundry is driving me crazy.

So I'm doing sandies at night, meos during the day. I finally have my hemp doublers prepped so I'm happy to use those tonight. I'll probably order some hemp flats soon. I'm excited to try wool as well. Cloth is so much more fun than disposables plus I feel so much better about not creating so much waste. I am determined to cloth the next one from birth. I keep thinking to myself that in the olden days they had no choice~I can do it too. If I had no choice it would have to be done anyway. That helps me to not get so grossed out. Some things just gotta be done.

Last edited by turtle1234; 06-24-2016 at 11:16 PM.
turtle1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't planning on the diaper sprayer, but once solid food poo started, we reconsidered the sprayer, got one,.... and it was definitely worth it.
kristinajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could be wrong, but if cheese softens her poop wouldn't that indicate she is reactive to the cheese as well?
Old 06-25-2016, 03:04 AM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried almond or coconut milk? My son prefers almond milk over the others. Sweetened of course. But then, he cannot tolerate any cows milk product at all. No cheese for him.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:26 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What trouble are you having with the 20m poo?

My FL is in my main downstairs bathroom. I find it can start smelling faintly of pee after a couple weeks. I run the clean cycle with white vinegar about every 2 weeks when it starts smelling. I find that when I don't run it for a while there is ALOT of soap residue in there which isn't good for cloth diapers or clothing anyway. I plan to continue running the clean cycle every month-ish even after my LO night trains.

Also, I recently changed up my wash routine to use bac-out in my prerinse cycle. I put it in old laundry soap scoop and place in it with the diapers to be added once the basin starts spinning. I feel like the since then my machine has been cleaner as well, I wonder if its neutralizing enzymes is working in the machine as well making (hopefully) the diapers and the machine cleaner.

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-25-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote