Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
momindc
Registered Users
seller

Newborn pooping through prefolds

My four day old baby is pooping right through his Osocozy prefolds. He's not blowing out of them, he's pooping right through the middle. I'm bummed because I keep having to spot clean the wool covers. Is it the prefolds? Should I replace them with GMD ones? Or is this a stage? The diaper is already big so I hate to double it.

This is actually not my first CD baby, but the only one I've done from birth. And I never did cotton and wool before.

Advertisement

momindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newborn pooping through prefolds

if they are absorbent enough for pee they should be fine. You get get a wool liner to put between the wool cover and the prefold or get a wool sweater, felt it good and cut it into a strip. You'd still need to clean the spot off of it but at least it's not the good cover, plus you can machine wash it.

I made wool liners for the fleece trainers DD uses right now. before cutting I washed on warm and dried on medium a couple times. Post cutting they get washed on warm and hung dry, but if gets away from me it will be dried on low. When they are hanging dry I spray them with lanolin. So you can just machine wash them if the sweater is felted.

You could try adding a cotton or hemp doubler in the middle but the wool would probably work better. you could also try a fleece liner I guess.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd add a thin liner, either disposable or washable. Either way should solve the issue. Had the same problem with my youngest. Didn't do this until later. We had the same problem into the toddler years due to chronic digestive issues.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
Youngatheart
Registered Users
seller

In my experience it's not typical for a baby's poop to seep through quality prefolds regularly. Looking back, this only happened with one of my children/grandchildren. It began at birh and was this way for months. We found out later that he had digestive/allergy issues as well. He was breastfed and was reacting to foods his mama was eating.

But I agree with the other mamas that adding a thin liner should take care of it...hopefully his stool consistency will change soon.

And congratulations on your new baby!

Flat/Prefold-loving Grandma to five beautiful LOs
!!! I'm so excited...Emma Grace is here...born Nov. 26, 2014 !!!
!!! Welcome Luke David(10/18/08) & Loriana Malise(10/21/08) !!!
Patiently waiting for future grandbabies
Youngatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngatheart View Post
In my experience it's not typical for a baby's poop to seep through quality prefolds regularly. Looking back, this only happened with one of my children/grandchildren. It began at birh and was this way for months. We found out later that he had digestive/allergy issues as well. He was breastfed and was reacting to foods his mama was eating.

But I agree with the other mamas that adding a thin liner should take care of it...hopefully his stool consistency will change soon.

And congratulations on your new baby!
Yup, exactly why we were having the problem. It was diarrhea due to dairy in my foods. I dismissed the idea of diarrhea simply because it is so unheard of in an ebf baby unless sick. Went dairy free completely(not lactose free, dairy free) and the diarrhea went away along with the eczema, disrupted sleep patterns, acid reflux, floppy baby muscles, constant nursing, etc.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Funny you post this because I just got done cleaning up the poopiest of poopy diapers. You couldn't even see the flat folded around him... gross. How do you know if it's diarrhea vs. regular EBF poo?
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Funny you post this because I just got done cleaning up the poopiest of poopy diapers. You couldn't even see the flat folded around him... gross. How do you know if it's diarrhea vs. regular EBF poo?
For my son it was frequent and more watery than usual ebf poop. He was also extremely fussy. If he wasn't nursing he was crying inconsolably. It was a rather rough infancy.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
momindc
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I hope it's not a reaction to something in my food. He's only five days old so it could totally be a stage, right? For now I'll try to find something to use as liners.
momindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

May well be just a phase. Excess fore milk can cause more watery poop. Doesn't hurt anything but might well result in poop that penetrates a prefold. My oldest had that issue but we didn't use cloth so can't say it would or would not go through a prefold.