Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2006, 02:40 AM   #11
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you have a rice cooker?

You can soak the rice for a bit before starting the rice cooker. I really only use mine for jasmine rice. I still use my pot for brown rice because it takes forever until I'm happy with it. Plus I like to cook my brown rice in chicken stock and for some reason I'm scared to put chicken stock in my rice cooker, like it's going to cook to the sides and make it icky.

Advertisement

Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #12
stacim
Registered Users
seller

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! I have had a rice cooker for 13 years (can't believe it has lasted that long ) and it's the only way I cook rice. I like that I can set it and forget it. After I put some rice on the stove and then got a phone (pre-rice cooker days) and burnt the heck out of a pan , I'll never go back. I have an Oster that I don't necessarily love, but until it goes out, I can't really justify a new one. When it does finally die, I will probably pick one up at the Asian market.

Here is another thread about other things you can do with a rice cooker, like steam veggies, fish, etc. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ht=rice+cooker

I have had some rice seem a little hard after cooking when we switched brands, but if you add a little more water and let it set a few extra minutes, it should soften up.

HTH!
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just made some, lol. Threw in 2 cans of red beans and there is my late lunch. 30 min or so! Just eyeball the rice and water and hit the button. I chave a SUPER cheap one from a yard sale. I come across them all the time. My mom was gonna give me a super fancy one but i like my simple little one. I use it at least 1X per week. Havn't screwwed up rice sence i got it!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #14
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller

We have two, and we use one of them almost every day (and usually multiple times a day--rice is a staple in our home).

We absolutely couldn't get by without ours.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy589 View Post
Which ones do you guys have? Oh, and thats my other problem with cooking rice, it sticks like crazy to the bottom of the pan, does it do that with a rice cooker?
We have a cheap proctor-silex one, and a nice zojirushi that my husband's been using since college (nearly 25 years ago)
Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #16
tash
Registered Users

I used to have one that I loved. but now I have one that is ok. I like that I can just put in the rice and water and spices or whatever else and come back later without standing over it in the kitchen adding things and stuff. but the one I have now tends to get the rice too dry for my taste so I have to go and turn it off before it does that.

I also have used when I was pregnant to keep pregnancy tea warm all day. I would just turn it on and add the tea then in 15-20 min come back and turn it to warm and add sweetener. then I had nice warm tea all day long and I just had to ladel it out into a cup with a strainer over it.

I got mine on ebay for about $13 including shipping. I cant remember the brand though....
Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 AM   #17
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have one, and I don't want one. I make long grain white rice in the pan all the time and don't have problems with it. My pan also has a steamer solander that fits right on it, so I'm all set there, too!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
pingumel

i love it. it's one of the few gadgets in my kitchen i use all the time. then again, i'm asian i love being able to walk away and not have to remember one more thing.

i have a complicated one from tiger, but it's really much more than you need or would want. i used to have a cheap small one that just had an on/off switch, and it would cook rice more quickly and just as well. make sure you get one that fits your family's needs - for example, you probably don't need anything bigger than a 4 cup rice cooker unless you plan on doing a lot of steaming in it.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:05 PM   #19
corwinegall
Registered Users

Mine just broke and I haven't made rice since. I LOVED it. I miss it. I'm trying to find another one that isn't non-stick!
corwinegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #20
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm getting one for Christmas!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote