Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

Re: How Do You Cut Out Cursing?

Thanks for all your help ladies - I do realize that it has to be a conscious choice, but it's difficult when you're so UNconscious of how often you swear! I think what you guys have said will help me crack down - and hopefully I will have luck getting DH to crack down too!

Advertisement

rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #12
hollyhobby30
Registered Users
seller

We used to have a potty mouth when I was a unbeliever but we made the conscience choice to break that habit when we became believers. Since it is a habit you have to be aware of when and how you curse. 99% of the time there is that split second in your head of making the choice to have those words come out. When you start to say a curse word, stop and say something else. It's going to take some effort of your part as you are breaking a habit. We don't curse anymore and everyone around us knows that and they catch themselves and apologize if they do it around us. When I hear curse words it just sounds so dark and dirter. IT really is a choice to commit to make your heart pure.
hollyhobby30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
stopka7224
Registered Users
seller

DH and I seriously need to work on this also! We have talked about cutting it out so many times... and five mintues later I stub my toe or bump my head on something... I am VERY clumsy I will be watching this for any ideas.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

I used to cuss alot, but I was good at not doing it around my mother, so it came natural to keep it from the kids too. So, now I barely cuss but dh works construction and talks like it. I ask him ever day to watch it. It just sounds so offensive to me(now) when we are just having a nice conversation, but every other word is F***.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #15
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

i am in the minority here. i don't care if my kids says hell or pissed off or damn it. i would not be surprised if they dropped the f/s/b-bomb because i do have a mouth on me. I am trying to curb that though. I am pretty good about it unless I am driving. for some reason where i live NO ONE goes the speed limit. if it is 50 they go 35 if it is 45 they go like 30.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
love2bmom2chris
Registered Users
seller

Not trying to stir up anything (cuz I know that religion can do this) but I use to cuss terribly until I read a passage in the bible. I can't quote it word for word but I can sum it up-what comes from your mouth comes from your heart. I keep that in mind every time I want to cuss. My parents both cussed horribly so I natually did too. Now, I only cuss very rarely (usually when i am at work-other people there do so I slip sometimes). I RARELY cuss around my kids. I can't remember when I did it last but that passage always comes to mind when I am irritated and want to cuss! HTH!
love2bmom2chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:14 PM   #17
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
Not trying to stir up anything (cuz I know that religion can do this) but I use to cuss terribly until I read a passage in the bible. I can't quote it word for word but I can sum it up-what comes from your mouth comes from your heart. I keep that in mind every time I want to cuss. My parents both cussed horribly so I natually did too. Now, I only cuss very rarely (usually when i am at work-other people there do so I slip sometimes). I RARELY cuss around my kids. I can't remember when I did it last but that passage always comes to mind when I am irritated and want to cuss! HTH!
if you remember it will you pm me with it?

thanks!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #18
Carrie
Registered Users

I used to have a bit of a potty mouth but Dh never curses--when he says s-h-i-t he spells it out like that. When I do say a curse word, I am sure to get a dirty look from him. Seriously, though, I have heard of having a swear jar and putting a quarter in it everytime you say a naughty word. I agree it is a conscious choice that you have to make and you can do it but it will take some time.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #19
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my husband was a sailor in the navy and had a huge potty mouth especially when he got mad. Plus he says shut up all the time and I dont like Olivia saying that so we flush the bad words down the toilet. If I hear her say a word that is inappropriate I make her go to the toilet say in the word in the direction of the toilet. Tell the word goodbye and flush the toilet. It has worked wonders. I saw it on Supernanny or one of those shows. But I also make sure my Dh watches his language. So you will have to too to make it all work.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #20
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by offlikeapromdress
my husband was a sailor in the navy and had a huge potty mouth especially when he got mad. Plus he says shut up all the time and I dont like Olivia saying that so we flush the bad words down the toilet. If I hear her say a word that is inappropriate I make her go to the toilet say in the word in the direction of the toilet. Tell the word goodbye and flush the toilet. It has worked wonders. I saw it on Supernanny or one of those shows. But I also make sure my Dh watches his language. So you will have to too to make it all work.

That is a cute idea!