Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #21
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How Do You Cut Out Cursing?

Well, I was in the military and when I got out, I worked in a lot of warehouses and bars and places like that where I tended to not think so much about what I was saying. I was always kind of used to toning it down a bit in situations where it wasn't appropriate though. When I graduated from college and got a job in the business world, I had to really pay attention to how I acted and how I spoke. When I found out I was going to be a mommy, it wasn't all that hard for me to cut it out but I worried about dh. He doesn't see any big deal and doesn't even try to cut back (although he's very quick to scold me if I do let something slip ) A while back, DJ was sitting in his lap watching a football game and dh just yelled "Daaaa-aaamn!" and then I heard DJ repeat it...exactly the same. It was kind of cute because for the rest of the game, dh would mouth the words under his breath and then DJ would get the exact same look on his face and move his lips just like Daddy. I knew then that we were in trouble! So far, the worst thing we've really had to deal with is that dh and I were fighting one day and I told him to just "Shut up!" Well, for about a month, every time anyone looked at DJ sideways he'd yell "Suddup!" and I wanted to cry. He said it to me more than to anyone else too which really hurt. And I felt like such a hypocrite every time I tried to tell him that it's not a very nice thing to say and it hurts people's feelings when you say that and you should say something nicer, blah blah blah. He's finally stopped saying it now, but it's definitely made me a whole lot more careful about what I say...I don't ever want to have to deal with that again. DH still doesn't get it...he does, but he still doesn't think about what he's saying. When he says something nice or at least innocuous, and DJ repeats it, I try to point out to him then "See, this is why you have to be careful" because when he does slip, I don't want to call any more attention to it than necessary, but he doesn't even notice that he's doing it most of the time. I know that's not any help for you but good luck...

Advertisement

bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #22
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Mark 7:15-23
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #23
Drummer's Wife
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
i am in the minority here. i don't care if my kids says hell or pissed off or damn it. i would not be surprised if they dropped the f/s/b-bomb because i do have a mouth on me. I am trying to curb that though. I am pretty good about it unless I am driving. for some reason where i live NO ONE goes the speed limit. if it is 50 they go 35 if it is 45 they go like 30.

honestly DH and I both swear, it's a hard habit to break and while I do try to watch what I say around the kids, they are just words. I really don't mind my kids expressing themselves, and they learn what they hear. I would however have a problem with them calling someone a derogatory name, swear word or not...it's not okay to be hurtfull that way. But saying sh%t cause you spilled beads all over the kitchen floor is not a big deal IMO.

I do however remind them to not use those words in front of grandma, she'd have a heart attack but then I grew up in a home where we couldn't say stupid or crap... a lot of good that did me

Anyways DH and I do try to remind each other to tone it down around the kids, and his friends really try to as well, they are constantly apologizing when they slip up and I'm like it's okay they've heard it before.

Last edited by Drummer's Wife; 05-22-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Drummer's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #24
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a potty mouth I'll admit it But I'm working on it. I use to be bad before DS was born but I've gotten soooo much better now.

I found you just have to replace them with other words...like instead of A-hole (when a jerk cuts me off while driving) I say "hee-haw!" and of course it gets DS laughing Instead of the s word- Skittles! I sound hysterical in public I'm sure
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #25
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just don't do it. We really committed to working that out of our speech and choosing better words. I had to be really concious of my speech at first but now its just a no-brainer. If I ever do let one slip it feels strange. I'd rather pick smarter words (not saying people who swear are dumb - I just think the particular words are poor choices when the English language has so many great words in it!
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #26
stephdpn
Registered Users
seller

I was gonna say the same thing - I am not perfect and once in a while let one slip, but it is rare and for something like when I broke my toe!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 PM   #27
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom2chris
Not trying to stir up anything (cuz I know that religion can do this) but I use to cuss terribly until I read a passage in the bible. I can't quote it word for word but I can sum it up-what comes from your mouth comes from your heart. I keep that in mind every time I want to cuss. My parents both cussed horribly so I natually did too. Now, I only cuss very rarely (usually when i am at work-other people there do so I slip sometimes). I RARELY cuss around my kids. I can't remember when I did it last but that passage always comes to mind when I am irritated and want to cuss! HTH!
I thought of a couple...not sure if any of these are it...

Job 33:3
Psalm 49:3
Psalm 19:14

I used to curse, that was a long time ago though....probably haven't been in a habit of cursing since I was 16 or 17.

Taking a break to focus on God & family

Last edited by MamaJo; 05-22-2006 at 10:48 PM.
MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:55 AM   #28
findingmyself
Banned

i have a HORRIBLE time curbing it but when bri (my oldest) was over at my fathers house he was trying to get her to say Dad-gum-it and it came out damn it it was funny to hear such a small voice say it but in the same i didnt want her to say it anymore. then when not too terribly long ago i heard her drop something on the floor and say "s*it" well now we say s-ish-ka-bob (sp?) so now she says it it just makes it easier we use Funky Monkey for the big F word. it isnt nice and i know that but it is a hard habbit to break.
findingmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #29
MamaJenn
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
I'm right there with you mama.. .I've become more conscious when I want to use the f word and such to switch to friggin or freakin. When I use those words, it helps me to focus on how silly and uneducated I sound when using words like that. My oldest has started using the word "freakin" now and since I know what it *really* means, it calls me to be more mindful of what to say when I want to curse.

when I switched my mentality to really try to stop the cursing, I made it a point to listen to the people that do curse alot and the more I'd note the use of curse words, the more it wouldn't feel/sound right. And now it actually hurts my ears to hear people use curse words as adjectives all the time. I don't mind the occassional slip or a surprise, but every other word or as all adjectives doesn't sound right.

Give yourself some time and some credit... it's a force of tongue to conquer and you'll get there.

The first time you hear your little one say something really bad... AFTER you keel over, you'll REALLY stop cursing.

Quick story... I say "pissed off" all the time. My MIL calls me out on it all the time as she thinks it's cursing. She tells me "your little one will walk around saying pissed off all the time and how will you feel for that?" And just as I was about to respond, someone shows up at the door, she says "S***". So guess what my two year old was walking around saying almost immediately. I sat there with a smug look on my face and asked her "So, tell me, how DOES it feel to have a little one mimick cursing?" Oh that made my year...
Ditto^^ the above...

To all the other posters who dont understand how its hard...it is if you were raised around it and that was the NORM of how you were talked to kwim?
If you were raised in a nice clean Christian home then I guess thats why its so horrible. Not saying IT ISNT because it is...and I fight with this as well.

Its just like any bad habit..you gotta fight it and nip it in the bud...its all about making up other words for those bad words if you have to.
For example( Heidi will laugh if she reads this)
When Chris was a lil toddler..Heidi and Aaron used to say SON OF A B----
and then one day in the car CHristian finished her sentence
SO instead they said NO CHris we say SON of a WOMAN or something to that nature..LOL so they and later I started putting that into my brain instead of the B word.

I still say Sh-T yes...mostly CRAP but the F word is one lil demon that comes out the most when Im under THE MOST stress imagineable..which aot of you know I HAVE BEEN .
so...trying to say freakin alot instead has helped. I do NOT take the Lords name in vain to me thats WORSE...so I say goodness or oh my word..sometime I do slip up on here and say OMG( but that COULD stand for goodness yk lol)

anyhow Im off my rambling reply
MamaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #30
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was a cusser...DH isn't. He used to ride me anytime I cussed...he still does. I only curse when I get mad now, it's so dumb and I feel really lame that I can't control my mouth just cause I'm angry. It totally has to be a concious thing...You just have to make yourself stop...and replace those cuss words with other words that you can use to describe your "feelings"

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote