Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Apple Fritters??

Im wondering if anyone would have a recipe for Apple Fritters. This is something I made when I was just a wee thing in 4H. Basically these are like a pancake with apple chunks in it. I can't remember much about the recipe except that we grew up eating these and no one seems to know the recipe. (I was born/raised in RI so maybe its an East Coast thing??)

Does this sound familiar to anyone or can you share a recipe? These are not the same things as the apple fritter donuts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Mindi
Its a Mindi thing... you wouldn't understand
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Apple Fritters??

I apple fritters!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no clue other thasn we used to take either buttermilk scratch, or canned biscuits, flatten them, stuff with apple filling and fold over, roll in cinnamon/sugar, cook, and eat them.. thse are pretty good, though i knwo not exactly what you mean. you could try a scratch pie crust recipe thats pretty much what they are, is little pies..
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
cooperden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no the ones im talking about were not a sweet or dessert. these were a breakfast type food. Gosh I wish I knew how to explain them.

Anyone else know what it is im talking about?
Old 12-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Sarah2000
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is my moms recipe - it is great! I was actually craving these so I had her sit down and type me up the recipe lol!

Makes 16 pancakes

2 large apples Ė I prefer Jonathans, but Iíve used others
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
2 slices bread, any kind but rye
1/3 cup all purpose flour
dash of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Grate the apples and put in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice and stir with a large spoon. Sprinkle apples with sugar and cinnamon, add egg and milk and stir.

In food processor or blender, crumb the slices of bread. Add crumbs to apple mixture. In a separate, small bowl, blend together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add to apple mixture and stir to mix.

Heat a griddle to medium hot and coat with 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. The griddle is ready with the foam subsides. Donít get the griddle too hot or the pancakes tend to burn. Using a 1/4 cup measure, place apple batter on the griddle and spread to a uniform thickness. Cook until the bottoms are golden and then lift with a turner coat the griddle again with a smear of butter or margarine, flip the pancake and continue to cook until the bottom is golden and the pancake is slightly puffed and steaming.

Serving suggestions:
Serve with: maple syrup; scrambled eggs topped with grated cheese (cheddar or American Cheese slices go well with the apple flavor; any sausage patties or links.