Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

Re: ? for those who used thirsties covers on a newborn

I used newborn covers like litewraps and Cotnwraps for the itty bitty stage (7lbs-9lbs ish) the newborn covers only fit preemie prefolds in them but were trimmer than regular pf with Thristies. Then I moved her on to Thirsties x small and Bummis Super Brites small with regular prefolds when she was above 9lbs till about 12 or 13lbs. Then we moved on to larger covers. I loved the Thirsties but our favorite was def. the Bummis Super Brite. I just liked the fit.

Here are some pictures.

First at 7lbs up till 9 lbs she gained over a lb a week so she only wore these diaper covers and preemie pf for about 2 weeks!

In her preemie prefold. We had to snappi or that ebf poop was everywere.

In a Cotnwrap. Great gussets for those skinny nb chicken legs. Nice quality wrap also. TINY though. Won't fit long. Unless you have skinny babies that stay that way. Ours got chunky fast!

Here she is in a Litewrap. This fit well. Although wasn't as high quality. Still worked great and was trim. Probably our trimmest option. We had nb Proraps but the aplix rubbed her belly and I found them to just fit funny.

Here she is in a Bummis Super Brite small. LOVED the fit of these. A tad trimmer than Thirsites and better for using with pf at least IMO. We still did get a ton of use out of the Thirsties though. The x small thirsties fit longer than the small BSB did actually!

Here you can see the BSB sticking out from under her onsie. It's trim.

Here is the x small Thirsites on her when she was 2 weeks and close to 10lbs.

Advertisement

MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I prefer Bummis brand all the way around (they are less short-and-wide and more long-and-skinny covers), but I do have some XS Thirsties for Ellie. They fit her from the beginning (8lbs) and still fit now (I'd guess close to 12lbs).
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
jlhrun
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used xs Thirsties and newborn Bummis Super Brite covers on my 7lb 3 oz newborn. The thirsties worked, but were definitely on the large side. The bummis fit better for the first few weeks - they run smaller than the thirsties. DS grew out of the thirsties after a couple months, but is still wearing the xs thirsties at 4 months. I don't know how much you'll be able to tell, but here are a couple of pictures when he was 2 weeks old (almost 8 lbs, I think).

HTH!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #14
mamacita
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love Thirsties covers. Definitely go with the XS, they are generously sized. On a newborn they will fit perfectly around the legs and waist, and there will be extra fabric in between. It's thin enough that it isn't puffy under clothes, and babies grow so fast at the beginning that I don't mind it.

On the other hand, NB BSWW don't have all that extra fabric, and LOOK better on a newborn, so I used them a ton on my DD this time. The Thirsites fit her until she was 3 months, the BSWW she grew out of well before that.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
momto2and2
Registered
sitesupporter
seller

So, Bummis Super Brite might be the way to go for the first bit????

I am just using newborn fitteds until my small blueberry pockets fit good. Would I be spending too much to get a few thirsties and a few Bummis SB's for only the use of newborn dipes?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #16
MBFL
Registered Users

My Mood:

I like the xsmall thirsties, we had a xsmall prowrap too and that was definitely smaller. DD was almost 9 lbs at birth though so we didn't have issues with her being too small. The prowrap stopped fitting after a few weeks, but at 2 months and almost 12 lbs. she is still wearing the xsmall thirsties with room. I like the fit of the thirsties - they seem to catch everything! We have only had a blow out once an it was because we didn't have the cover over the prefold on her back.
I also have one of the small duos and think it might fit smaller babies better. DD is already on the largest setting at 12 lbs. so maybe at the smallest setting a 6 pounder would fit well?
MBFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
lauramaynot
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was thirsties challenged when my DS was a NB. When ever I put on a thirsties, the poo would come out of one leg of the PF onto the cover. I don't know if I was putting it on unevenly or what but it drove me crazy. I was using a snappi and I thought I had a good jelly roll going I didn't have the same problem with dappi nylon pull ups so those are what I grabbed for first and eventually sold off all my wrap covers all together. I now have a few snapping covers (fishnoodles and blueberry) and I really like the way those fit on my toddlers.
Samuel Sluder 16 Sarah Rose 14 Adam Frank 13 Eliza Gray 6 Benjamin Elias 4 Alice Catherine 1 And #7 coming Aug 2013
lauramaynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
Swtnsassy2c
Registered Users

I used bummis super brites NB on my little girl.

She was about 2wks here and they fit her til she was about 2mo old. She weighed 10lbs at 2mo. @2wks she was 5lbs 13oz
Old 09-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
NVMBR02
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dd was 6lbs even at birth and the xs is just now fitting her at 4 weeks and 7ish pounds. They rubbed at her cord while it was healing and then it just plain swallowed her. Now it is on the big side but it works well.

edit: we love the NB BSB covers for dd. Right now they fit the best. I imagine they will fit for another 4-6 weeks.

Last edited by NVMBR02; 09-14-2009 at 09:55 AM.
NVMBR02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
glsciarra
Registered Users

We used the xs on our 6.5 lb baby and they were great for a couple of months. The fit was fine for us because you can cross over the tabs and we loved the double leg gusset!
glsciarra is offline   Reply With Quote