Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #21
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ? for those who used thirsties covers on a newborn

DS was 8lb7oz at birth. The XS thirsties were perfect. They fit under his cord and never irritated it. He wore them for about 6 weeks until he outgrew the rise at 11.5 lbs. He's been wearing the smalls ever since. I like the Thirsties, but we can't use PUL covers often around here b/c my LO's are allergic to polyester. We mostly use wool.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
craezie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got both Thirsties XS and and the size 1 duos for my upcoming little one, and FYI the duos are a little smaller on the smallest rise setting. So that is probably a good option for those concerned about the sizing.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #23
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FYI, the sizing on Thirsties and Bummis overlap. So if you get a couple of XS, S, and then M of each brand, you are actually covering six different sizes. The Bummis run slightly smaller than the Thirsties, and the Super Brites have the same gussets as the Thirsties - even though the BSWW and the Brites are still the same sizewise. You will see a difference in the smaller sizes, but it is REALLY apparent when you need mediums. Thirsties mediums are a LOT bigger than the smalls, so when your LO outgrows smalls you definitely should try the Bummis first.

So what I've done is have three in each size of both brands. Usually one size of each brand will both fit, just better over different diapers. So you can use the bigger ones over your fitteds or night diapers, and the smaller ones over PFs/flats/daytime diapers. I have a pic somewhere of comparing the smalls and mediums, I will try to find it and post it later.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, here is a medium Thirsties, medium Bummis Superbrite, and small thirsties. I had already sold my small bummis by this point, but it was comparatively smaller than the small Thirsties.

And this is a small Thirsties on a 8 lb newborn. At this weight the small BSWWs actually fit better, but I don't have any pix. I would not put a small Thirsties on a baby any smaller than this, so if you are expecting a smaller baby an XS Thirsties and/or Bummis is definitely worth it:
Old 09-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #25
heidip2p
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had a 7lber and the XS Thirsties were huge on him.
heidip2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My last baby was my biggest at 8lbs even. The xs thirsties irritated his cord and made it bleed. They were too tall. I ended up using Bummis Whisper Pants NB sized nylon pants instead because they allowed for proper healing. The Dappis are good too. The Dappis were not snug on the legs, but they never leaked.

Once the cord is healed, you can almost get away with small thirsties. I'd only get one, and see what you think once baby comes. You can have a store in mind to order more from asap if you like them. I'd consider the duos instead as they seem like they might get a little lower. I do have a thread with pics posted. I just bumped it for you.

I didn't like BSWW NB because they were kinda thick and stiff IMO. Not decided what I'm going to use for this next one. But I'm leaning toward the pull ons, even though I'd rather have something that velcros. Here are some pics:

Here is a pic of the Pull On Cover. It is the Bummis Wisper Pant XS. They are poofy, but those are snug on the legs:

Last edited by MamaJoyful; 09-14-2009 at 02:54 PM.
MamaJoyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
Mom3Boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My guy was 7lb 13oz, and they were very big, they worked but the were big.Oh and we had xs size covers
#4 is a GIRL! CORRECTION, #4 is a BOY! Logan (10/5/11)
my blog: SON up till SON down
SON up till SON down Designs
Mom3Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good point about the cord. That time the cord is healing, most covers are too tall. Honestly, during that time period we hardly used covers at all. We used old navy performance fleece longies, fleece sleeping sacks, and fleece blankets until the cord healed. You are changing so frequently and doing so much laundry that first two weeks anyway, it's not a big deal to throw the fleece things in the wash every day for any poo leaks anyway.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #29
SweetMother
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
I got both Thirsties XS and and the size 1 duos for my upcoming little one, and FYI the duos are a little smaller on the smallest rise setting. So that is probably a good option for those concerned about the sizing.
I agree. My baby was 7 lbs 3 oz at birth, but 6 lbs 11oz when we brought her home and actually started CD'ing. The Thirsties Duos fit right away, but the xs fit the best now at 4 weeks old and 9 lbs. My favorite cover (sorry no pic!) is definitely the prorap. I bought mine used and it looks better than my brand new thirsties after 4 weeks of use. My thirsties also rub her tummy if I'm not careful about how I put them on her, but I've never had that problem with a prorap. Especially if you only plan to use them for a little while, you can't go wrong with a prorap IMO

Here she is at 4 weeks and 9 lbs in a Thirsties Duo on the smallest rise setting:

Old 09-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #30
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another idea is to just plan to use a piece of fleece to shield the belly from the top of the XS thirsties. Now, after all of these kids, why didn't I think of that sooner?