Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
hockeymom6201
Registered Users
seller

Ear infection remedies , Plese tell Asap

*sigh* our six month old has horrible earinfections again ... to add to he list of issues ... He just screams at the top of his lungs (seriously sounds like were killing him ) We go to the docs and they give him antibotics (Which I don't want to use) What else can we do both DH and I had awful ear problems as kids dideffect first son but this guy has a horrible time with it ... We never let him lay flat on his back to drink ... I 've tried having him sleep elevated and he will not have it !!! Help me mom's

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear infection remedies , Plese tell Asap

Well, for recurring ear infections, we resorted to having tubes in DJ's ears. It was a difficult decision but it has made a HUGE difference. At 7 months old, he was showing symptoms of hearing loss from the repeated infections. Our ENT (the same one that treated me as a little girl) said that it's something about how his ear canal is shaped and he probably inherited it from me (like I needed MORE guilt! ) I still have almost constant ear infections and have permanent hearing loss from my ear drums rupturing several years ago. My sister (26) had tubes put back in her ears last year. We saw a couple of different ENTs before having it done and they all agreed that it was the way to go because of how his ears are shaped. Since we had the surgery (~15 months ago), not one single infection. And the day it was done, we saw a huge difference in his responsiveness so apparently it was affecting his hearing.

Since then, I've had several people tell me that a chiropractor was able to help their child stop having ear infections. I love my chiro, but for some reason taking a baby makes me nervous...not any more nervous than surgery...I know it's dumb. My chiro said that he has a colleague somewhere near here that specializes in children so he's getting me his info...I think I'd be more comfortable with that.

Good luck...I know how hard it is when they're miserable and you can't help them!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Warm garlic oil drops in the ear are the best for ear infections! Also, mullein, St. John's wort and lobelia oil. I found some at the health food store that had all of these together, and it healed my friends ds's ear infection right away (it eases the pain, too).

Warm olive oil can work in the meantime, and you can make garlic oil by pressing a fresh clove, putting it in cold (iced w/o ice) water and use a dropper to collect the oil that comes to the top.

Also, you can make a past with onion powder or clay (from the health food store) with warm water and apply to the outside of the ear. Onion polstice works, too, and raw potato works well to bring down swelling.

Internally, take in echinacea and goldenseal (non-alcohol for kids) and garlic to boost immune system. Hylands Earache Homeopathic tablets reduce pain and fever. Soap and water in the canal can be dangerous, so put cotton in the ear when bathing.

Allergies are a major cause of ear infections! Avoid commen allergic foods like cow's milk and all diary, wheat, corn, oranges, peanut butter, all simple carbohydrates including sugar, fruits, and fruit juices. Maybe have you little one tested for allergies.

Good luck, mama! I hope it all heals quick! Best wishes!

Last edited by MamaLove; 05-25-2006 at 02:14 PM.
MamaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
dragonflymommy
Registered Users

My oldest had chronic ear infections so I sypathize with you! Are you breastfeeding? If so, squirt a few drops of your breastmilk in the infected ear several times a day. Yes- your breastmilk- it is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and will clear up lots of stuff. Worked everytime for my ds. Also consider cutting dairy out of your diet. Chronic ear infections are a sure sign of dairy allergy/sensitivity. If you are using formula this could be the culprit as regular formulas are based on cow's milk. Sometimes switching to soy can help but be wary because some soy formulas still contain dairy. Also try boosting your son's immunity with echinacea and vit C- you can do this by taking it yourself if you are nursing.
Does he have any other issues? Spit up alot/reflux?
Hope the little guy gets some relief soon!
dragonflymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
4boys4me
Registered Users

I have also heard that going to the chiorpractor can help resolve ear infections in infants and children. The trick is to find one in your health insurance network though,lol.. (hugs) ear infections are not fun.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

My little guy just had an ear infection (fever, vomiting, sore throat, screaming, etc...), but he kicked it without antibiotics. I understand your hesitation to give them as I feel the same way, especially if he's having recurring infections. As a child, I had 4 sets of tubes put in my ears. Granted, the infections stopped, but from what I read these days docs are more hesitant to jump to surgery. Like a PP said, I would try warm food based oils and if you are BFing you should take "emergen-C" as it will go through your milk to your DC. Also, check for allergens. Will he take any tylenol or motrin? That helped my DS a little. What helped most was BM up the nose to clear his sinuses so the snot didn't run down his throat and into his ears and giving him a "steam bath" (take a hot shower w/o the fan on while he's sitting in the bathroom). Have him sleep on the opposite ear that's bothering him and use a humidifier.

Okay, I know that's a lot, but I did it all just this week and now we have a much happier baby!!

Good luck and I hope you all feel better soon!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD started with them at aobut 3 months and continued until she had tubes at about 13 or 14 months. In that time frame she had about 12 ear infections. We would literally have one day between the end of the round of antibiotics and the start of another infection. One good day, that was it.
Finally, i just did tubes. It was a great desicion. She ahs had aobut 2 infections since then. Shes 3.5 now and i think they ahve fallen out.lol When she ahd the infections with the tubes we had no clue. All there was was some gross drainage that came out but she was great. I just had to be sure to keep the ear free of the drainage so it could drain well.
As for herbs and homeopathics they are awesome! If you decide to do antibiotics use acidopholus with it. Antibiotics kill the good flora in the childs GI tract and that opens them up for yeast probs and other probs. Acidopholus is a non tasting powder, put it in anything cool. Or eat an organic non flavored live culture yogurt.
Also, Hylands offers some AWESOME homepathics for ear infections, use those on a regular basis and keep using them after the symptoms are gone. Also use some garlic/mullien oil in the ear. Warm it and put a few drops in. Work it into the ear and let it sit for a few minutes. A great time to do it is at a nursing session. The baby will smell like garlic, but oh well.lol
theres more i know it but i cant remember it all! Sorry, but this should give you a good start. Hope it helps you out! I personally stay away from antibiotics now. Keep an eye on the fever if you catch it early enough you can keep it under control wiht some herbs so it can do its job for the body but still not get out of control.

HTH
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
hockeymom6201
Registered Users
seller

thanks mamas I have printed this whole thread out !!!!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

First look into allergies. If he's eating solids and/or if you are nursing, try eliminating the top allergens: dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, etc.

Second, look up homeopathy and ear infections. I cured my dss's chronic ear infections with 2 doses of a remedy. He was referred for tubes in his ears which we didn't have to do....after the remedy, he's never had another EI again. Your best bet is to take him to a classical homeopath for a complete work-up

In the meantime, garlic ear drop or Similasan (homeopathic) ear drops work wonders.

Last edited by Kindermama; 05-29-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Kindermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
momtotwinboyz
Registered Users
seller

Some of those home remedies sound great.

My twins (2yrs) have ear infections about every 2-3 months. My red is seriously thinking about the tubes but I'm not so sure. I have to tell you though I don't think that in most cases the infection will go way by itself.

Case in point.....I took my twins to the ped 2 weeks ago. The week before one of the boys was rubbing an tugging his ear and for a couple of days I would ask if it hurt and he would say no (he hates the doctor and knew that that was where I would take him). Anyway I took him in about a week later and he hadn't complained about his ear after the third day. The ped looks in his ear and says he has a terrible infection. Naturally I freaked. I asked how was that possible. He hadn't complained in days. I assumed it was better. She said no. An ear infection only hurts for the first couple of days. After that the mambraines become numb. She said in many third world countries people have speech problems from having ongoing ear infections that were never taken care of. He was put on prescription ear drops and antibiotics.
momtotwinboyz is offline   Reply With Quote