Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Re: First food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riandkymommy
Riley's first food was a Timbit that he snuck when we were driving and they were in the backseat with him and Kyla's was a chocolate chip cookie Riley had dropped on the floor, lol!!

Guess I am not much help!! I know I always started with fruit just because I started in the morning and I couldn't imagine having carrots for breakfast, now carrot cake is another story!!

I know what you mean about doing things so different between 1 & 2. I did alot of things the same, but have become even more "crunchy" with Kyla than with Riley!! If I have another one, I might even go further! LOL!
to the first part!

and because I am right there with ya on the crunch factor!!

Advertisement

Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowensf

Seriously, we started with cereal because we didn't know any better. There's no reason NOT to wait and then no reason NOT to serve table foods. Bananas are always a great first food--the longtime recommended first food by LLL.

With future dc's we will definitely skip the overprocessed 'grain' cereals (if you can even call what it ends up being 'grains'!) and stick solely with REAL PEOPLE food, kwim? Oh, and we're hoping to exclusively BF for at least 12 months this time!

And Yeah, what PP said about the taste of BM. It's SOO sweet, much sweeter than fruits.

Best of luck to you!

Oh I hope you update us on the EBFing for 12 months! I have actually read a LOT suggestioning the benefits of EBFing for the first 2 years of life, although I don't know that I could see that working for us.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is going on 9 months and the only solids she has had are hard toast. She doesn't really get any down, but it's good practice. I am doing the child lead feeding. No pureed foods with this one. However with DC#1 we started with rice cereal, then mild fruits then veggies. His favorite was peas Nothing like avocados here, they make me gag, I can't stand them
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
comfybuns
Registered Users
seller

We have always had every intention of doing thing "the right way" but always have skipped the whole baby food thing and gone to table food. many times I would puree what we were eating or make sure it was mushy enough.
My kids are GREAT eaters now and I really think that is why.

Just curious...How old were all of your babies when you started solids?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Riley was 5 1/2 months when he grabbed the Timbit and Kyla was about 7 months when she ate her cookie....I figured they were ready then. Riley was probably too young though.
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
weddell
Registered Users
seller

We started with banana. Dd has never had rice cereal and she is now nine months. I read an article while I was pregnant with her that some drs think rice cereal is a bad first food because it is a simple carb and that something like fruit, veggies, or meat was a better first food. I think if you wait until the baby is at least 6 months old, you don't need such pureed foods and you can start with something a little more "real". We spoon fed DD mashed bananas and avacado but she really prefers to self-feed table food. We just dice things that we are eating and she loves it. We have even feed her things like curry and she thinks it's great. When we are eating something she can't eat, I pull a few frozen veggies (just the kind you buy in a bag at the store) and microwave them until they are soft and she eats those for dinner. It has been working well for us and I've never had to buy baby food in a jar.

Here's a link to the article I read. I originally read it on cnn.com but that page isn't on their site any longer, but this is the same article. (I had originally printed it and I compared them)

http://www.alldeaf.com/text/topic/20962-1.html
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #17
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Wow mammas, thanks! I have a whole new perspective on things now. I wish I knew so much when I has DS#1!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor first kiddos always get practiced on LOL

I'm leaning more towards skipping the baby food all together as well now after hearing some posts & reading some links. I don't do store bought babyfood anyhow b/c I tend to think it's got junk in it... but I made it for DS#1. I'm forgoing the rice cereal, & was already leaning towards skipping it but I've officially decided now.

DS#1 got rice cereal in a bottle & ate baby food at like 5 mos... & if I could do it all over again I'd have totally done different but he was my first & I didn't know better than to listen to the Ped. DS#2 is gonna be 5 mos on 6/10 & we def won't be ready for solids by then but I'm just preparing myself for the future. Time passes FAST.

Another ? if I may - what about water & juice? Anyone give it to their babies? Or even expressed BM that's been chilled? I know this is silly but it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hot right now & no kidding he is already pulling my drinks to him if I have one or sucking on the glass & I wonder if it's b/c it's cold. I don't use bottles but he will take a cup so I was wondering if I should give him a little cold water or chilled BM to help cool him down. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #18
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i tried pumping bm occasionally for a cup/bottle for dd but she really wasn't in to it. somewhere around 9-12 months if we were out a restaurant and she was trying something of ours to eat we'd give her some water (using the straw), but not much. we still don't really do juice (just a few sips very very occasionally...but we don't buy juice much either). now she has a sippy cup of milk/water going most of the time but still nurses a lot.

hth
Old 05-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #19
weddell
Registered Users
seller

I would probably let him have something cool in a sippy cup. DD is nine months and we just gave her a sippy with water in it. I don't want her to have juice, because it really is just sugar water. (if she wants fruit, I give her real fruit) But because of the weather getting warmer, I want her to have another source of hydration besides nursing. I would suggest either water or pumped breastmilk because he is so young. Do what you think is best!
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

You could give your dc a cold wet cloth to play with and suck on! My dd loves this. But generally if your dc is allowed to bf as much as he/she wants to, they'll get enough hydration that way. My dd also has loved water since she was about 3 mos, we'd feed it to her from a spoon (sterilized/boiled, of course!) and that helped her stop drooling too! (A tip from my mom!)

As for juice, since it's mostly sugars, you'll really need to stay on top of cleaning your dc's teeth, and if you're like me, that just doesn't happen as often as it should! Breast milk and water are the liquids of choice from what I understand from many sources.

Hope that helps! So much to always think about, huh?
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote