Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Help me make bread

Ever since I saw the duggars making their bread, I've wanted to give it another shot! Their recipe was simple enough..wheat flour, honey, oil, yeast and water. And little rising time. Except they used fresh ground wheat berries. I have kitchenaid stand mixer but no wheat grinder or bread maker. And I want soft bread! My family loves the orowheat oatnut loaves for flavor reference.

Advertisement

Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me make bread

I googled and this came up as the recipe. What went wrong last time?
http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2014...bread.html?m=1

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I haven't tried this recipe Bc I wasn't sure if it would taste the same if using already ground wheat. But in the past I could never get a soft and fluffy loaf..it was always dry and dense.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's not uncommon to bake up bricks when you first start out especially with wheat bread. There is a learning curve since you need to learn when a dough has been kneaded enough. An atmosphere changes can affect bread dough too.

I'd suggest trying this recipe as it walks you through things a bit more and there's
a hotline you can call.

If you don't have the dry milk replace the liquid used with 1 cup of milk.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...recipe#reviews

Don't give up. It does come together the more you do it.

Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

That recipe looks great. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

On the first rise now!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Whole wheat bread is also stickier at first than white bread. It will continue to absorb moisture as it goes through the rises. It is often very tempting to add more flour to keep it from sticking to your hands. Don't do so. It will result in a brick. You can add oil to your hands or just accept that bread making can be a bit messy. I use a bench knife to remove as much of the dough as I can when I am done kneading the dough.

Milk provides a softer crust. Water a chewier crust. 2 rises is good, 3 gives a finer crumb. Honey is said to extend shelf life. Not sure if that last is true.

If you decide to make bread regularly bulk yeast is cheaper and can be kept for long past the expiration date if refrigerated or even in the freezer. If you do that though I recommend going the old fashioned route of testing your yeast before mixing all the ingredients. This is easily done by mixing your fluids with half your sweetener and the yeast, let sit 5 minutes. During that time you can mix up the remaining ingredients except for the remaining fluids. If after 5 minutes your water/sugar/yeast mix is big and foamy your yeast is alive and active. Add the remaining fluid and then the remaining ingredients.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #8
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
Whole wheat bread is also stickier at first than white bread. It will continue to absorb moisture as it goes through the rises. It is often very tempting to add more flour to keep it from sticking to your hands. Don't do so. It will result in a brick. You can add oil to your hands or just accept that bread making can be a bit messy. I use a bench knife to remove as much of the dough as I can when I am done kneading the dough. Milk provides a softer crust. Water a chewier crust. 2 rises is good, 3 gives a finer crumb. Honey is said to extend shelf life. Not sure if that last is true. If you decide to make bread regularly bulk yeast is cheaper and can be kept for long past the expiration date if refrigerated or even in the freezer. If you do that though I recommend going the old fashioned route of testing your yeast before mixing all the ingredients. This is easily done by mixing your fluids with half your sweetener and the yeast, let sit 5 minutes. During that time you can mix up the remaining ingredients except for the remaining fluids. If after 5 minutes your water/sugar/yeast mix is big and foamy your yeast is alive and active. Add the remaining fluid and then the remaining ingredients.
Good to know. I'm on the second rise now and if it wasn't 10:30 pm I might give a third rise a chance. :/

I've made pizza dough quite a bit with the artisan bread in 5 a day recipe but it's completely different as there's no kneading.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 AM   #9
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love the 5 minute artisan bread recipes. I make the standard boule often.
I looked back at what I typed and I hope it makes sense that you replace 1/4 dry milk with 1 cup regular milk and then adjust total liquid in recipe accordingly.
So if recipe calls for 1 1/8 cups liquid- you would use 1 cup milk and 1/8 water (or all milk.) Clear as mud?

I agree that bulk yeast is the way to go. Stored in an air tight container in the freezer it can last for a really long time. I use SAS in the red vacuum packed packages (they sell them at Costco cheap) and have not had to worry about dead yeast. So any brick loafs are all my fault. :smile:

Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Alright first loaf went okay. It didn't rise enough and was a little dense but still acceptable. But I didn't like the flavor..too wheaty I suppose. The King Arthur blog suggests using some OJ to balance out the wheat flour. I also like the oat flavor in oatnut bread so have to add that in.