Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #91
peetred
Registered Users
seller

Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

My Family's Goulash: One of my Husband's favorites,

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can italian diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes w/ sweet onion
Any kind of pasta, we use shells or macaroni
hamburger, about a lb or so depending on how many you're feeding

(you don't even need to give them extra veggies b/c of the tomatoes!)

Brown the ground beef and start the pasta boiling in a pot of Water w/ garlic salt and a little olive oil.

Drain beef, and put back in pan. Add all tomatoes. Simmer until nice and hot. Drain pasta when cooked. Mix all together! Voila Goulash!

Advertisement

Momma to Gregory, Ezekiel, & Edward (UC), EDD mid Oct (UP/UC #2)
ISO/IHA
peetred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #92
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, thats it...I'm gonna copy paste all of these into WORD!
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #93
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetred View Post
My Family's Goulash: One of my Husband's favorites,

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can italian diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes w/ sweet onion
Any kind of pasta, we use shells or macaroni
hamburger, about a lb or so depending on how many you're feeding

(you don't even need to give them extra veggies b/c of the tomatoes!)

Brown the ground beef and start the pasta boiling in a pot of Water w/ garlic salt and a little olive oil.

Drain beef, and put back in pan. Add all tomatoes. Simmer until nice and hot. Drain pasta when cooked. Mix all together! Voila Goulash!

YUMMY!!! Too bad my SO hates tomatoey dishes... I love all of these recipes, keep them coming!!

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #94
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

rescuing this post from page 2!
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #95
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyprincess98 View Post
rescuing this post from page 2!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #96
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom had six of us (plus my dad) to feed growing up - so I learned a lot of cheap, nutritious, and yummy meals. Most will feed atleast 6 adults. It fed our family of 8 easily - usually with the addition of a salad or additional veggie to each.

homemade sauce

2 large cans crushed tomatoes
2 large cans tomato puree
1 large can of tom. paste
seasonings - onion, garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf

finely chop and saute up the onions and garlic in the bottom of a sauce pan with a tiny bit of olive oil. Once you smell them, (YUM!) add all the cans of tomatoes. If you like chucky sauce, sub some cans diced tom or whole (squeezed before adding them) tom. for the crushed tom.
Add seasoning to taste - a handful of basil & oregano, half a handful or so of rosemary - be sure to crush it to release the flavor, a sprinkle of thyme.
Simmer - either until hot or for half the day - the longer you let it simmer, the more the herbs flavor it. Add the bay leaf for the last five minutes, and remove - or it will get bitter. For acidy sauce, a sprinkle of baking soda or sugar will help immensely.

add left over meat - pork, chicken, sausage, ground beef, meatballs, etc to make a yummy meat sauce.

This makes a LARGE amount of sauce. I will make up a pot, freeze several mason jars worth to have on hand for a fast and no cost dinner. I also use it for the week for other dishes lasagna, baked ziti, baked mac and cheese, etc. You can easily cut the recipe in half - but I love having extra to freeze.

Baked Ziti or Lasagne
1 lb box of ziti noodles
32 oz ricotta cheese
1 large package of mozzerella cheese
1 jar of sauce See above recipe or 1-2 cans of crushed tomatoes that I flavor according to above recipe.

I usually have suace in my freezer and a box of ziti or lasagna noodles in the pantry at all times, for it is just teh cost of the cheese. Boil noodles to al dente - combine in large baking dish noodles, R. cheese, M. cheese and sauce - if lasagna layer starting with sauce and then noodles, cheeses, sauce, noodles, etc.
Baked on 350 for about 45 minutes.

Easy homemade Mac and Cheese

two versions of this - with milk and with sauce

Milk

1 lb box of elbows
1 block of cheese - cheddar, jack, munster, swiss - take your pick or try a mix of several.
a splash of milk (maybe 1/2 a cup or so?)
a handful of breadcrumbs

Cook noodles to al dente. cut cheese into cubes. In Large baking dish mix elbow noodles and cheese cubes. Add milk until you can just barely see it under the top noodles. If desired, season with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, etc. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top for a crispy top.
Bake on 350 about 45 minutes, until milk is absorbed.

Sauce

1lb box of elbows
1 block of cheese - again any kind, but we prefer cheddar with this recipe
1 can of crush tomatoes or a nice free jar of sauce from the freezer

Cook noodles to al dente. cut cheese into cubes. In Large baking dish mix elbow noodles and cheese cubes and sauce. If using can of tomatoes, season with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, etc.
Bake on 350 about 30-45 minutes depending on how much sauce you like to add.

Homemade Chili

1 can kidney beans/chili beans
1 package of ground beef or turkey or chicken
1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes or tom. sauce or a free jar from the freezer
Rice
seasonings - I like chili powder and cumen, plus some onions and garlic

Chop and saute some onions and garlic in ollive oil. Add ground beef/etc. Brown up ground beef/etc - add seasoning to meat as it is browning. Chili powder adds spice and cumen adds a rich smokiness to it. I use several handfuls of each. Drain grease off of meat and return to pan. Add your choice of tomato and beans. Simmer for as long as it takes to make up the rice. Serve over rice (or egg noodles) or simply but itself along side some buttered bread or a nice salad. If you can any cheddar cheese on hand, grate it on top. YUM!

Another great stretcher is breakfast for dinner. A HUGE hit for my family as a kid, and something my family now loves too. It is quick, easy, cheap, nutritious, and a nice comfort food. Pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs (add some peppers, tomatoes, left over ham, etc).

We would also have soup and sandwich nites. grilled cheese, egg salad, tuna, etc with a few cans of our favorite soups.

I know there's a ton of other cheap family feeder recipes - they will come to me eventually. LOL
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #97
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:

Spinache soup (sorta like an italian wedding soup)

1 box frozen chopped spinache
1 box of achini or acini - it is *super* tiny pasta, any tiny pasta will work.
1 large can or 2-3 smaller cans of chicken or veggie stock
parmasean cheese
garlic and onion

saute a some chopped garlic and onion in olive oil. add in chicken or veggie stock. Cook spinache, drain, and add to stock. Add about half the box of pasta. Boil until pasta is tender. If necessary add more stock, it is a supposed to be a pretty "hearty" style soup. Serve with a sprinkling of parmasean cheese. This is even better the second day!
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #98
aprilwood11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great ideas, ladies! I'm kind of new to the forums (posting at least, not lurking ). I don't have any recipes not already listed, but wanted to say we get a box of food every month from Angel Food Ministries http://www.angelfoodministries.com/ for $25.00 and with all these new recipes I can change things up a bit. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #99
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

We made this tonight, it was awesome!!! You can probably use ground beef instead, but we have switched over to ground turkey, it's healthier! We also aren't as neat as the directions suggest, so you don't have to worry about it looking nice. We had corn and au graten potatoes on the side.

Turkey Stuffing Roll Up

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey ($2 a pound)
Stove Top Stuffing ($1 generic)
1 can turkey gravy ($.75)

Roll uncooked turkey out on wax paper in a rectangle shape, 8 x 12 inches. Prepare stuffing. Place on top of turkey, an inch from the end. Flatten down. Roll the meat and stuffing up like a jelly roll, using the wax paper to keep it together. Pull waxed paper off as you are rolling. Pinch the ends to seal it then pat together. Place in pan and bake for 1 hour at 350F.

Pour gravy over during the last 15 minutes.

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:06 AM   #100
wiseolegoat1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When the cupboards were bare, and the kids were little....(they are grown and out of the house now, and am starting over again..due in April)

Our family favorite was called rancher's breakfast.
really easy, and really cheap! All made in one skillet!

cook a panful of bacon to crisp...remove from pan, crumble and set aside. (ends and pieces were cheaper and had more smoked flavor, than packaged "strips"; use about 1 strip/person)

lower heat. Add diced potatos to bacon grease in pan, and brown, stirring to get all sides, we used one potato/person.
When potatos are soft, add one egg for each kid, and two for each grown up, beat together, add to pan, cover, and simmer till set. (we kept chickens so these were abundant!)
Add grated cheese,(about an ounce per person) and crumbled bacon....serve when cheese is melted by cutting into wedges.
yummy and filling! Quick clean up too!

Another recipe from a 1920's depression cookbook was called graveyard stew:
boil one potato per person in pot of salted water just enough to cover potatos. When tender put the potato in a large bowl and mash it a little. Add a little pepper to the potato water, mix a couple tablespoons of cornstarch or flour in cold milk..about equal to your water and add to pot to thicken. This makes a cream gravy.
pour over potato and serve. You can add just about any meat if you have any, or any veggie, but back in the depression years, there just wasn't much available! This was tastey and filling! Was often served with a side of dandelion greens or lamb's quarters (another hardy weed that grows during draughts) for a salad.
This tasted a lot like cream of potato soup when I made it, but the gravy was thicker, so more filling, and a dash of worchestershire added was really good too....the side salad of dandelion greens were bitter, so I wouldn't recommend those if you have anything else to use, tho the yellow flower tops are actually pretty good with romaine lettuce tossed with a warm bacon/vinegrette dressing! I kind of enjoyed experimenting in the old fashioned recipes, tho there is a caution...don't collect dandelion growing near roads/traffic, as exhaust fumes make for inedible plants! Also nothing with possibility of spray/pesticides!
Wiseolegoat1
wiseolegoat1 is offline   Reply With Quote