Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #511
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I know I can't get quality chicken or ground beef for under $5. Not unless I manage to catch a good sale at the store. I'm this-close to going vegetarian because of the insane cost of meat anymore.
I learned from my mom.. if you can possibly help it, don't buy anything unless it is on sale, clearance is better.
Our vons does clearance in their meat department. I got 2 1+ pound london broils for $3 and change. originally $6 and I got for $3... then I turned around and made 2 meals out of both of them...
One I made steak sandwiches, and London Broil ( just broiled and served slices with potatoes and veg)
the other one I made a big batch of beef stroganoff ( one meal, with seconds and still a big serving of leftovers) and Black beans and Rice ( called Con Gris recipe is from my Cuban MIL) with steak on top.
Chicken we buy frozen on sale mostly, but i found bone in skin on BREASTS for $.99 a pound a few weeks ago, I bought 10 pounds. I divided them up 1-2 breasts a bag and froze them.
Bulk sausage in the meat cases costs less than in the pre packs, or pre formed, and tasted just as good.
Pork chops on sale are awesome. I got a pack at Henry's the other night, bnls, pork loin chops 1 lb $3.
SHOP SALES.. I go to 3-4 different stores to do my shopping. Henry's ( like trader joes, or boneys but better farmers market in the summer) for veggies and fruits.
Vons for the basics cans, boxes, milk etc.
Grocery outlet.( if you live in CALIFORNIA find one near you .. make the hour drive once or twice a month.. it is worth it. )It is like pic and save for food. I spend $60-$80 per mmonth and regularly save 1/2 of what I spend. for basics, bread, cheese, frozen, cereal, cans, juices, pasta, people products, even crackers and cookies.
Vons for the basics cans, boxes, milk etc, if I didn't find at groc outlet.
Costco for big staples- pet food, bnls/sknls chicken breasts, HUGE bags of chicken strips, or nuggets, laundry soap, towels and tp.
then target ( i am boycotting walmart) for people stuff, cleaners, litter etc we use the Target brand sposies for while we are out and about for the whole day, or when we go on vacation.
I am a SAHM.. I find money where I can.
OH and I use coupons. if I have a budget of 100 and I save even $20 using coupons that is $20 I have to buy more food.
HTH...

Advertisement

CaleighAHolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #512
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

This is my Lasagna Roll Ups. Double it when you make it, start the batch for dinner in the oven, make a second batch for freezing then just keep an extra jar of sauce inthe pantry for when you make the frozen batch.
Lasagna noodles ( cooked al dente..a little under done)
Canned/jar sauce
I do 1/2 lb ground turkey, and 1/2 lb turkey sausage. ( cook up together.
I dice mushrooms (1/2 lb), onions (1 med), zuchinni(1 large) and saute` in olive oil with some garlic.
then i layer it all on a noodle. a little sauce, ( i dip the noodle and wipe most of it off) some of the meat mix, the veggie mix, and some cheese ( Italian cheese shredded blend). No riccota. dh doesn't like it. then roll from the short end.
top with sauce, and a little more cheese.
then bake for 15-20 minutes.
This is a really yummy, recipe, and we find that one roll makes about one serving if you serve with rolls and a salad. on their own one adult + two roll ups.
(THIS IS THE REGULAR MAKE IT RECIPE>>)
To FREEZE it..
make the roll ups. set on a baking sheet spread out a bit. Freeze for 3-4 hours. then pop off sheet and transfer to a ziptop bag. freeze the rest of the sauce, with the rest of the turkey, veg, and cheese mixed in. take sauce out, tear open bag and place in bowl to defrost. Nuke in micro 3-4 minutes on half power. stirring. KEEP ROLL UPS FRZN. when sauce is defrosted. place a small amount of sauce in bottom of baking dish, arrange roll ups. top with sauce and lid or foil, bake 20 minutes, at 350* top with cheese, and bake uncovered 10 min more. SERVE...YUMMY and SUPER EASY.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #513
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoe_1 View Post
ooo I wish I could just hit a button and print out this whole thread!! I love thrifty meal ideas!
I just copy and paste into a word doc. I have a file of recipes, and I have pages for main dish, one pot, side dish and desserts.
that way I don't waste paper or kill my wrist writing them all down.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #514
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

FIsh Tacos
I use frozen Mahi Mahi. (we buy a big bag at costco $12 and it usually goes for 3-4 meals. But you could use shrimp, or any firm fish, even fried fish would work) These are individually wrapped in 5-8 oz pieces. One piece usually makes two well stuffed tacos. I base all my recipes on the fact that it is Hubby and I eating. But the recipes can be doubled quite easily.(if you have an grill pan these are a yummy taste of summer in the middle of winter)
Recipe-
2 frzn Mahi Mahi fillets ( These defrost fastest under cool running water. I put them in a bowl or a pitcher, still wrapped, and turn the water on to a little more than a trickle)
1 lemon and 1 lime, juiced and zested.
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped.
1 tbs Mrs. Dash (I use the Table Blend, but the Extra Spicy works well too.)
2-3 tbs olive oil
In a large ziplock bag, combine juice, zest, olive oil, all but 1Tbs of the cilantro, and the Mrs.Dash. Seal the bag and shake to combine. Add the fillets, reseal and push as much of the air out as possible. Allow to marinate in the fridge for 15-30 minutes (any longer and you are making ceviche. Also a yummy, healthy food, but not what we are going for.)
While that is marinating, make the sauce.
1 c sour cream
1 lemon, juiced
Cilantro, the remainder
1/2 Tbs Mrs. Dash
1 tsp each garlic, and parsley.
Mix all the ingredients. The lemon juice should thin the sour cream, just a bit to make it like a sauce, and not a dip. refridgerate until time to serve.
Heat the barbeque. I like to oil my barbeque grates, and then heat it up for about 10 minutes ( I use a gas grill). This gets the grill really hot. Place the fish, and give them about five minutes on the first side and about three on the flip side. DON"T FUSS WITH THEM. Leave them alone until you are ready to flip, and use a spatula to flip rather than tongs. When they are ready, the meat should pull apart easily and be white all the way through. Transfer them to a plate or pan ( I use a pie pan) and cover with foil.
Slice about 1/2 a head of white cabbage really thin. Dice up 1 tomato and one avocado. Shred cheddar cheese, or open the package. Warm two corn tortillas per person. ( small flour tortillas )
Using a fork, seperate the fish. Start at one end or corner of the fish and pull the fork through the meat, this should give you nice chunky flaky bites.
Assembly-
Lay out tortilla, spread one tsp of sauce down the center. Add fish, cheese, cabbage just to cover, tomatoes and avocado. I like green tomatillo style salsa on mine, hubby likes a little bit more lemon. Repeat and eat. Two fillets usually make 4-5 tacos. We usually eat this just as is, but it could be served with spicy black beans (recipe soon...) and rice. This recipe also makes excellent Mahi burritos, trade out the corn tortillas for burrito sized flour tortillas, and build the same way, then fold, roll and eat. Hubby prefers no cabbage and more fish on the burritos.

Last edited by CaleighAHolic; 11-12-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: TITLE
Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #515
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
could you make your own mock cream of whatever soup using soy or rice milk?
you can also use gravy...
make a roux ( melt butter, add 2 tbs flour, wisk together, cook til light golden blond, add broth of choice. chicken broth, beef broth, veggie brothbring to a boil to thicken, add to chicken and rice voila quick easy stew..., over chicken and veggies and you have a chick pot pie, serve with biscuits.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #516
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

I just remembered this one. it is really good when you are alone for the night, or for a whole family.
frzn potstickers as many as needed.(3-5 per person is a good estimate)
veggies ( 1/2 c of brocoli and 1/2 cup of mixed veggies)
2 tbs terriyaki sauce ( per individual serving )
Brown potstickers as directed (try not to burn them...
when it is time to add water, add frzn veggies, and terriyaki sauce cover and simmer per directions.
I loved this one with some crunchy noodles on it. Or serve with some frozen egg rolls. it is a yummy one pot meal that is hearty and pretty healthy cuz of all the veggies.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #517
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonitasTreasures View Post
I'm gonna LOVE this thread!!! LOL
We are a family of 4
hubby, me, 3 year old, 8.5 month old

Our old stand by for cheap and in a huge hurry in a messy kitchen dinner is this

1 package egg noodles or wacky mac ($1)-cook as directed
1 jar GV (Walmart brand) Alfredo sauce ($1.50)
6 pieces loaf bread (<$1)
with butter/garlic/parsley (always on hand)
Salad ($1 for one night's worth of salad for us)
I do something like this. Use tortelini ( the dried ones with the regular pasta)boil and drain. add broccoli, add about 1/2 jar of alfredo sauce, 1-2 c cooked chicken or turkey. mix together top with cheese and bake. This is great to make a dbl batch of and take to someone that just had a baby, or surgery, or to a church super.
and I grab a loaf of the french bread ( 1$)

Now I need to get all my rotisserie chicken recipes out.
but that will be after nap.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #518
CaleighAHolic
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstategirl View Post
Here's one that I make a lot in winter:
Bean Soup

Bag of three bean soup ( I think it's about $1.50)
One onion
Ham ( I buy the ham that is just a slice of ham for about $2)
I do Ham and Beans with Green beans.
get the fresh green beans ( or whole frozen ones, but like 2-3 lbs)
I like to use the ham bone after the holidays, because of all the meat left on it.
1 onion
and 6-8 potatoes, whichever kind you like.
toss it all in a BIG pot, cover with water, add salt and pepper. bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 6+ hours.
I also add carrots when i want to stretch it.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #519
Mikaela
Registered Users
seller

Chicken and Rice Casserole

1 can Campbell’s Cream of chicken soup
1 can Campbell’s Cheese or cheese and broccoli soup
For creamier version add
1 can Campbell’s cream of mushroom or celery soup
3 cups Minute rice
3 Cups chicken Broth or water (add salt to taste)
1- cups chopped broccoli (we use frozen I would steam it first if you use fresh)
lb - 1lb chopped or shredded chicken
2-3 cups Shredded cheddar cheese

Boil chicken broth/water. Add rice lower heat and cover for 5 minutes or until there is no more liquid left. Add cans of soup, Broccoli, and chicken spread into 3qt casserole pan and cover with cheese. Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes (or until cheese is melted and golden brown). To spice it up add Salsa and sour cream as a topper.

Takes about a half hour to make and feeds 4 adults comfortably. We make it for dinner and then take the leftovers for lunch its great re-heated!

Last edited by Mikaela; 11-23-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Mikaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #520
Mikaela
Registered Users
seller

3 BEAN CHILI WITH CORN

1 lb Ground Meat (Beef, Buffalo, Turkey, Moose, Deer, ect…) or make it vegetarian and add extra beans
1 Can Tomato Sauce
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Can Crushed tomatoes
1 Can kidney beans (un-drained)
1 Cans Black Beans (un-drained)
1 Can Pinto/Chili Beans (un-drained)
1 Can corn (drained)
1 – 2 packages Chili Seasoning add first package and then season to taste with second package

Brown ground meat and drain if necessary. Add all of the ingredients to your crock pot stir and let sit for 4 hours on HI. You can also make this on the stove - Brown and drain meat, add ingredients, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45minutes.

Feeds about 5 adults I make it and then we eat it as leftovers and lunch later in the week

Last edited by Mikaela; 11-23-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Mikaela is offline   Reply With Quote