Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #571
Lisonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
Please don't laugh at me...but I tried dirty rice and sausages and I was SHOCKED at how spicy it is! I love spicy foods, so it was ok for me but poor DH...his stomach can't handle it!

It was really really good though and I will be making it again and adding things like celery, chopped tomatoes, and onions to it next time.
I did the dirty rice and sausages last week (before reading this) and I was shocked too . I couldn't eat it .

Advertisement

Wife to John IV , SAHM to John V 10 yrs old , Louis-Philippe 4 yrs old and Naomi Rae Soleil 12/01/2008 http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=358135http://www.youdata.com/join/lisonh My ISO list http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8#post11707288
Lisonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #572
aluci89
Registered Users

this is an awesome idea thanks
aluci89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #573
Evadiva
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisonh View Post
I did the dirty rice and sausages last week (before reading this) and I was shocked too . I couldn't eat it .
When I was a kid this was too hot for me too and my mom would add instant rice and boiling water (according to instant rice directions) like 5 mins at the end and it really cools it down and makes it go a little further!! Oh, and a nice dollop of sour cream!

Last edited by Evadiva; 06-23-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Evadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #574
Evadiva
Registered Users

My Mood:

So here are mine, please forgive me cause I cook for the week alternating~ 3 beef dishes, 3 chicken, one fish or pork is about our average.. I use cube steak which is a lot like a thin (not too thin), lean hamburger steak which one sale at $1.99 lb (once even 99C *swoon*) one in one family pack is $6-*8 and that is 3 meals worth of meat! Oh, and we hit the farmer's market!

Smothered with veggies Steak (1st night~Say Sunday Supper)

Saute up with a little oil and (I like Montreal) seasonings~
Sliced Mushrooms
1 Red Bell Pepper (sliced)
1 Green Bell Pepper (Sliced)
One onion (Same)
Remove and in the same big pan add steaks and cook them all up...

Then cut a nice portion for each family member and top with the veggies, you may want to add a little Worsh, BBQ, or A1 Sauce whatever you have in the fridge to the top, but hubby like it plain!
I serve it with Baked or mashed potatoes.

After dinner I take half of the meat that is left and slice it and the other half I cube same with veggies and pop in the fridge!

Tamale pie!!! (Oh heaven on a rainy day or the third dinner!!!)

In a casserolle dish layer~
Diced meat
Diced veggies maybe some spices like taco, cumin, you pick..
1can of chilli (I have a ton in the freezer so I use that)
Topped with some Jiffy cornbread mix (prepared)
and bake at 350 till golden (about 30 min. ish)
You can top with cheese, sour cream, chives, you name it!

Open Hogie Dippers (really like this easy one for Friday night!)
Warm on the stove~
Strips of meat & Strips of veggies together~
Put on Hogie buns and serve w/gravy (warmed) on the side or hubby likes in in the sand-which! Oh and some chips!

One tip for the bread, check out your local bread outlet! I always thought (and called) it was "day old" bread, but it isn't.. It is very fresh! I can get a bag of 12 rolls for $1.69!

Last edited by Evadiva; 06-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Evadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #575
L2S2C
Registered Users
seller

Here is a family favorite

Beef and Broccoli

cheap thin sliced beef 2.50 (I get whatever beef is the cheapest and slice it, I usually get it for around 2.00 but I rounded up)
1 package of au jus seasoning .50
fresh or frozen broccoli 1.50 (I can get a bag of frozen for 1.50-2.00)
Rice or noodles

slice beef, brown and cook over med heat in a medium skillet. Add Au Jus packet and enough water to cover bottom of pan and most of meat, 1-2 cups, simmer meat so its not tough. As the meat simmers the water cooks off, you may need to add more if your meat is realy tough but it turns into a gravy. You can add corn starch and water if your in a hurry. add broccoli, cook till broccoli is your desired firmness, serve over rice or noodles
Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #576
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

What a great thread! I can't wait to use some of these recipes and post my own!! Thanks Momma's!
lucysgreenmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #577
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshersMommy View Post
We made this tonight, it was awesome!!! You can probably use ground beef instead, but we have switched over to ground turkey, it's healthier! We also aren't as neat as the directions suggest, so you don't have to worry about it looking nice. We had corn and au graten potatoes on the side.

Turkey Stuffing Roll Up

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey ($2 a pound)
Stove Top Stuffing ($1 generic)
1 can turkey gravy ($.75)

Roll uncooked turkey out on wax paper in a rectangle shape, 8 x 12 inches. Prepare stuffing. Place on top of turkey, an inch from the end. Flatten down. Roll the meat and stuffing up like a jelly roll, using the wax paper to keep it together. Pull waxed paper off as you are rolling. Pinch the ends to seal it then pat together. Place in pan and bake for 1 hour at 350F.

Pour gravy over during the last 15 minutes.
I made this tonight and LOVED it! my 19 month old had two helpings! Thanks for this!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #578
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbkt8 View Post
i haven't mapped out the cost of this, but i'm pretty sure it's darn close to the $5 mark.

Crockpot Chicken "Curry"

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (could use breasts or bone-in thighs...whatever) - I use about 6-8
1 large can of crushed tomatos
1-2 chopped onions
3-4 chopped carrots & celery stalks
3 T curry powder
1 t cumin
1/4 - 1/2 c raisins (golden or regular)
chopped cilantro (optional)
plain yogurt (couple of TBS probably)

Cook on low in crockpot for 6-8 hours. The chicken will essentially disintegrate into the sauce. (If it's breasts or bone-in I usually will take it out and shred it and then add it back in, but that's personal preference.)
About 30 minutes before serving add in some chopped cilantro and some plain yogurt (to taste). You could also toss in some cashews or almonds if you like as a topping.
We serve it over brown rice.

You can of course add in pretty much any type of veggie you like (peas, broccoli, potatoes, etc.)
Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #579
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine is pretty close to $5.
4 Chicken Breasts (we buy a pack which has 2 HUGE breasts in it for about $3.50)
1 block cream cheese (about $1)
1 can cream of Chicken Soup (about $.79)
and 1 package of Dry Italian Dressing Mix (about $.79)
Butter

Melt 1/2 cup of butter in bottom of crock pot on high.
Add italian dressing mix and mix around.
Add chicken breasts
Cook on high for 2 hours or until done. One chicken is done remove from crock pot. Put block of cream cheese and can of soup in crockpot. Mix around until they are melted and corporated well. Then add chicken back in and stir to coat well.

Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
The great thing is if you have a family of 3-4 this will probably last 2 meals!!! So it's really cheap.
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #580
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wish there was a way to search "gluten free" through these. Def some great ideas in here though
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote