Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
thoughtfulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sell all my satsh?

I'm trying to decide if I should sell my new/barely used stash? I'm having my third and although I cloth diapered both of them, I was never 100% happy with what we had :/ now I've been buying and been gifted diapers over the years, so I have a ton of diapers. I just don't LOVE them. I know if I sell I will loose a lot of money, but I can't help but want a new stash with a more streamlined feel to it. Ugh what would you do?
Keep In mind that if I keep what I have, I could probably diaper birth to potty with no money spent on anything new at all! So this is me just being greedy 😋 I'm not rolling on the dough, but I would like to sell off some and get what I want! Hahah

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
missymae26
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm expecting #3 next month and I'm not very happy with my OS stash. I've had to rebuy my NB stash as this was a completely unplanned pregnancy. DS2 is still wearing the OS stash which is mostly made up of BG 4.0s, but not not feeling the pocket love anymore. I have learned that I absolutely HATE stuffing pockets! I'd love to just switch it all up to prefolds and covers because that's what I prefer but DH likes the pockets (he wouldn't if he was the stuffer). After all that rambling I say do what works for you. I think that's what I'm going to do. If my "diapering life" is easier, it's easier to stick with cloth.
missymae26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Fruit&Nuts
Registered Users

Re: Sell all my satsh?

Even if you aren't rolling in the dough, think of how much you would be spending if you were doing sposies. You probably know what brands you like by now. Just wait until a big sale (black friday, earth day, mother's day) and stock up on what you love and out with the old.
Fruit&Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymae26 View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm expecting #3 next month and I'm not very happy with my OS stash. I've had to rebuy my NB stash as this was a completely unplanned pregnancy. DS2 is still wearing the OS stash which is mostly made up of BG 4.0s, but not not feeling the pocket love anymore. I have learned that I absolutely HATE stuffing pockets! I'd love to just switch it all up to prefolds and covers because that's what I prefer but DH likes the pockets (he wouldn't if he was the stuffer). After all that rambling I say do what works for you. I think that's what I'm going to do. If my "diapering life" is easier, it's easier to stick with cloth.
I don't know what kind of diapers the OP has to sell and is looking to buy, but if you've got BG you are looking to sell and only want to buy prefolds and covers, I don't think you will loose money. Prefolds and covers are SO cheap compared to BG. So long as your diapers are in decent shape and you don't pick too pricy of cover you may actually come out ahead.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #5
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

Do you know exactly what you want in your new stash?

If yes, go for it. Especially if you can cash in on Black Friday deals to grow your stash.

If you do not know exactly what you want, I would be more hesitant. I felt this way when my baby had outgrown most of her NB diapers and I didn't have many OS yet. I didn't really love what I had for NB and wanted to just sell it all and buy all the same SOMETHING for a streamlined, only one thing stash. But I didn't know what I wanted! So I had to buy a little of this, and a little of that, and I found one thing that I loved but it wore out SO FAST, its not going to last for one baby, much less multiple.

So now I think I know what I want: prefolds and ME Sandy fitteds. Guess, oh take a guess, what I was going to sell from my NB stash?

So if you do not know exactly what you want in your new stash, I would say, no you should not sell ALL of your stash. Keep the things you like somewhat and the things that are useful almost no matter what (like prefolds, flats, inserts, covers). Because you are likely to end up using those things, at least occasionally. Besides, I DEFINITELY have changed what I like as my baby grows and changes shape/poo consistency/amount and frequency of wetting, etc. So variety has been very helpful for that.
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
NEkalmia
Registered Users
seller

duplicate post
NEkalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

List what you have first and see if it even sells. Then you have your answer
Old 07-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Corgi
Registered Users

I have too many diapers to justify keeping what I do not reach for. I also can't stand a varied stash and only have two things in my daytime stash.
The way I see it, even when I take a big loss.... which I bought EVERYTHING new with my first and absolutely had to try it ALL, so I've lost a lot of money.... is I would rather have $5 than something sitting not getting used. Plus if I can sell two or three of something not getting used to get just one of something I WILL use, that's worthwhile in my book.
The b/s/t market for most things right now is incredibly slow, partly because a lot of the super popular brands that generally have great resale are putting out new prints like crazy.
someone new Nov 2015.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 thoughts. One is you don't know what your next LO is going to need, whether natural fibers is fine or required or if they need stay dry (and maybe even only a specific type of stay dry) whether PUL will be great or you need something more breathable.

So having a variety to try out on the next child is nice. That said, it sounds like you don't like your stash enough that it actually brings you down.

How is it that your stash is barely used if you diapered 2 children? Do you have enough (or almost enough) of what you do like?

I would say sell some that you REALLY don't like and/or will sell more easily/for a good price and to try to streamline a little bit. I'd love to suggest waiting until after your LO is here but that is a catch 22 with what time most moms have. Once you think you are set with what your LO needs maybe sell more.

I'm in a whole nother boat diapering than I thought I would be with my second. I've had to buy alot but its nice to have options with the various diapers I have around.

If selling try ebay, I mostly sell cloth there and, for some reason, people will buy for higher prices than you would expect.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 AM   #10
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say sell them and get what you actually want. I don't see a problem with that at all, if you don't expect to get 100% of the MSRP back and if you have the money to make up the difference to buy the diapers you want.

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote