Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Drake Ervin

Drake Ervin
At 7am on Monday, I went in for a non-stress test on the baby and for a check. Depending on the stress test and how far I was dilated and effaced, my doc would then consider inducing me. Well, baby passed the non-stress test and I was not any farther dilated or effaced than I was for the last two weeks (still 2cm and 20%). My doctor then gave me the option of waiting a few more days (the next Monday at the latest) or to proceed. However, if I chose to proceed, I was told it was going to be a ‘project’ and I could possibly end up with a c-section. After hemming and hawing it over in my head and looking to everyone else for some sort of answer, I decided to go ahead with being induced. I was done with being pregnant, and the thought of my liver being stressed out, made me nervous. The compromise was that we would start the induction with pitocin and that if baby hadn’t moved down, my cervix didn’t dilate, or if I wasn’t more effaced, we would pull the IV and try again another day.
So at 8am, the pitocin was started. Since the baby kept ‘falling’ off the monitors, I was forced to stay in bed, instead of rocking and bouncing on the ball. I tried to get some sleep (Joel slept), watched some TV, and hung out on the monitors.
At noon, they checked me again, and I was 3cm and 20%. However, with this check, my doctor felt the baby’s head was lower and that he could safely break my water. So my doc broke my water, and tried to control the gush, so that the baby’s cord did not slip out first. Well, as much as he tried to control it, I still ended up flooding the bed and all the towels they had in the room. My doc also needed a new change of clothes since fluid got all over him….oops.
Since I knew they were planning on upping the pitocin in an effort to deliver the baby within 10 hours of my water breaking, I got my epidural shortly thereafter. The deal was, I would let the nurse know if I felt any changes, but until then they wouldn’t check me.
Well, at 3pm, my doc wanted an update and a check (since baby was having some decels). I was 4cm and 60% effaced. At 330pm, I complained my hip was hurting (cue flashbacks from Zack’s birth). Well, I was 4cm and 80%. My hip hurt because the entire time I had my epidural in, I NEVER hit my button to release more pain meds, so I hit that and watched the clock for 10 min to be up, so I could hit it again.
At 345pm, they did another check because I said I felt ‘pushy’. I was 8cm and almost 100% effaced. The nurse left the room to go call my doc with an update. About 5 seconds later, I looked at my husband and said ‘get her back in here; get her back in here NOW!’ Well, the nurse came back in and I was 10cm, 100% effaced and baby’s head was RIGHT there. So cue the mad rush. They are now paging my doc to get in the room, and looking for another doc to possibly deliver the baby. I am now attempting to breathe through each contraction and not push. My doc comes in (they have the bed already and I am focusing on a ceiling tile trying not to push) and says ‘can you wait another contraction so I can change clothes?’ I respond with “I promise nothing at this point!’ Well, they put my feet in the stirrups and tell me to pull my legs back, well, I sit up and the baby’s head comes out. Baby was delivered at 402pm. So no pushing on my part, it was all my body doing it on its own! He weighed 7 pounds 14 ounces and was 21 inches long. (So a pound and a half lighter and an inch longer than his older brother)

Zack (8/07) and Drake (3/10)
zacks_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Drake Ervin

Welcome to the world Drake!!!

Congrats Erin, he's gorgeous
Amy ~ wife to Dr. Mikey ~ mom to Tiny G (5/07) and my VBAC baby Small Fry (2/10)
BootyGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Such a cutie!
Mommy to DS 10 , DS 8 , DD 7 , DD 4 , DS 4 , and DD 1
~Our family has been built by birth, adoption, and foster care~
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

oh cute!
FSOT-please browse here-
Dyed OBV blankets, loveys and fabric cuts in stock now @ hyena cart and "like" me on facebook hereThe Painted Pixie
tygr2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Users

Oh how adorable! Congratulations! Enjoy mama
KateA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

He is the cutest!! Congrats!
Mommy to a boy (6) and a girl (4).