Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
UPDATE post 14. Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning method and how it's working for me

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

So I am doing it! I've decided to night wean DS using this method. It's very pro-attachment parenting and sounds like it won't be too bad. Check back frequently for updates as I'm going to use this thread to document my experience. Then maybe others who are wondering/considering the method will know how it's working for us.

Advertisement

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.

Last edited by MamaWillow; 03-20-2012 at 11:34 AM.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning method and how it's working for me

Will be watching this thread! Good luck, mama

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Good luck, I'll be watching too.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I didn't have time to post last night's update until now.

Night one: nursing when he wakes up but not allowing him to fall back asleep on the breast.

DS went to bed around 8. Took him 30-40 minutes to fall asleep, so I'm guessing it was 8 because I emerged from the bedroom at 8:15. He hadn't woken up when I was going to bed (about 11) so rather than lie in my own bed and wait for him to wake me up, I just went straight to his bed (futon big enough for us both). Nursed him when he woke up at that point and he rolled over and went back to sleep right away. I figured my 7 choice hours will be 11-6 (same as Dr. Jay recommends) so I wanted to give DS a good feed before his time was up.

Just after 3am DS woke again, and I nursed him and then pulled him off the breast before he was completely asleep again. He fussed some and talked a little. He kept pulling at my shirt and wanting more milk. I told him the milk was sleeping. I checked the clock again at 3:50 and he still hadn't gone back to sleep. He wasn't crying, just rolling around, seeming like he needed to settle but couldn't. Kept saying da-da-da. His diaper was reeking like pee so I changed him. (See other thread in diaper chatter for that story!). Then it must have been at least another 30 minutes until he was sleeping again. He woke up shortly after (timing by now is a blur) and since he had slept I nursed him again, and again it took him a while to go back to sleep. I was too tired to check the clock by then but my guess by the outside light was that it was close to 6 the last time I had my eyes open. Then we slept soundly until 7:30.

I guess I'm glad that he wasn't crying that whole time he was awake in the night. Too bad we were awake so long, but it does make me think that he is somewhat ready to night wean, since he didn't really cry much. ?? I dunno.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm. Okay last night was a typical night. DS woke up several times (I'm thinking it was three?) before 6am. By the time I went to bed at 12 (yikes!) he was on his third waking already. I nursed him at 11pm (he had woken up) and let him finish all the way. Each waking after that I pulled him off before he was all the way asleep again. The first time he cried a very sad cry and turned his back to me, then went to sleep within 2-3 minutes. I can't remember what he did with the other wakings, so I'm guessing it went fine. I didn't let him fall asleep all the way until 6am. Good.

Although Dr. Jay says to do this for one more night, I'm going to go ahead and NOT nurse at all between 11 and 6. DS had great naps today, which means he will sleep a lot better at night, and DD is off with her biodad until sunday, so I don't have to worry about DS waking her up with crying. Wish me luck!
Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Night 3.

I am so tired! I went ahead and denied the breast after 11pm. DS always wakes up then, so I nursed him and snuck out and was able to sleep in my own bed until 12:30...that's a start. I didn't have my cell phone in his room with me at the beginning of the night (that's what I use for my clock) so the timing is fuzzy. He must have gone back to sleep quickly at 12:30, but then maybe around 2:30-2:45 ish he woke up again and had a lot of trouble falling back asleep. He wasn't crying, thank goodness, but he was restless and talkative. Kept signing milk and I kept telling him that milk was sleeping. He would grunt a little then lie back down and try to sleep. I really think he just doesn't know how to go to sleep without the breast (and me in the room). He can sleep a naptime without a bottle or breast but only with DH or my mom.

I got up and got my phone at 3:30, and we were still awake trying to settle. Having the phone was a bad idea because I became obsessed with the time. I looked again at 4:30 (still awake) then 4:35, then 4:50. Around that time he began having a tougher time. He was crying a little, not big cries, but whimpery sad little cries. I knew there was no way he could make it another hour. I rubbed his back some and he fell asleep with his little arms wrapped tightly around my neck and his face pressed to my cheek. He slept for about 10-15 minutes. I nursed him at 5:08 when he woke up crying loudly. I *think* he must have been hungry. I don't know....he just couldn't sleep and waking up crying sort of indicates to me that he may have been hungry. He emptied the breast and fell back asleep until 7:30, then nursed on the other side and slept until 8.

So, I figure for now I will start with 11-5 if he can't make it to 6. That's better than nothing right? He did have a very hard time with naps today (probably cuz he was overtired). I was at work and DH said he really wanted milk; he even tried to pull DH's shirt up and nurse on him! Poor guy! I have to remind myself that it's okay, he's okay, he knows he is very loved and safe, we are just breaking a habit, right?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, you're breaking a habit! Good for you!!! If my 4mth old can make it through the night on 1 feeding, I know your little man can do it!

Our boys share the dame Bday(a yr apart)!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Jackie_B
Registered Users

My Mood:

Awesome article! We started doing something very similar (without having read this!) a few nights ago. It'll be a slow process but we're getting there!
Jackie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OKay! Things are going great!

Night 4 (2nd night of no milk after 11pm)

Tough night. Again, DS woke up around 3:30ish and stayed awake until after 5. I think I finally nursed him around 5:30 and he went back to sleep until 7:30. Because of all this lack of sleep in the night, he's all messed up for naps during the day too...I think he's just totally overtired. When he woke up in the night he didn't cry at all until just before I nursed him. He was trying SO HARD to go back to sleep that I gave in and nursed before he fell asleep again.

Night 5
Great night! DS went to bed at 7 and woke up a couple of times before I went to bed at 11. Nursed him both of those times as much as he wanted. I went to bed in his bed but he didn't wake up again until 12:30, so I nursed then. Woke again around 2:30 or 3 I think but he must have gone right back to sleep without nursing because I don't remember much at all. The next time he woke up was 6:05 so we nursed then and he again went back to sleep for an hour. Yahoo!

Night 6
Last night was amazing! Because of a lack of naps during the day, DS went to sleep at 6. He woke up twice again before I went to bed, then at 11 I went in and woke him to nurse and went to sleep. The next time he woke up was 4:35! Wow! He was complaining about not nursing, but he went back to sleep for a short time and I nursed him at 5:15ish. Then he was awake for a little while and I just snoozed. At one point I woke up and noticed that he was sleeping again. I woke again at 7 and then at 8 and he was still sleeping. I think he nursed a couple of times in between there. I got up at 8, leaving him asleep, and he woke up a few minutes later. I can't believe how long he slept! I really think this is working so well. Each night is better and better!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

for a great thread...

Thanks so much for charting your progress with this, mama!!! It's one thing to read about how it should work and another to get a real-life version of the story... I am not night weaning my daughter yet but will have to at about 18 months before I have to start traveling for work again without her. It's great to hear that after a few hard nights it's going better. keep the updates coming!