Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
Winter
Registered Users
seller

Re: Holy Dye Batman! I'm hooked...Dylon LWI - I'll show you mine if you show me your

That is gorgeous! I would love to hear more about it too!

Advertisement

Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: Holy Dye Batman! I'm hooked...Dylon LWI - I'll show you mine if you show me your

the name is perfect! so pretty
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Karrie Di
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great job! Really lovely -- I agree with "Planet Earth"!!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay so here's how it went down:

I just randomly cut into a large piece of white CV I had in hand... ended up with 11-12 oz. worth (about a yard it seemed). I had already washed and dried it once for shrinkage, etc. so I just got it wet under the faucet with warm water and wrung it out so it was really damp, but not too drippy. I shoved it all into a small plastic tub - about 12"L x 18"W x 6"D - and scrunched it all up, making sure it wasn't wrapped in on itself like a ball. I tried to scrunch it as much and as tight as possible because I wanted a really contrasted look.

I took one packet of Dylon - blue, the one I knew I wanted my "main" color to be - and dissolved it into 4 cups hot water from the tap. I then added in 2 tablespoons regular table salt and stirred so it was dissolved too. I poured it over 3 sections of fabric. It was a lot of water and there wasn't a lot of white surface after this.

Because there was so much blue water, I decided to make the green a little more intense. So I dissolved my second packet of Dylon - the green - into 2 cups hot water from the tap. I added in the 2 tablespoons of salt and again stirred so it was all dissolved. I poured this mixture onto the other areas of the fabric that I hadn't poured the blue over. (Of course, it all runs together in the tub and I wanted that as well.)

I didn't move it at all and I let it sit this way for 3 hours. After the three hours I dumped the excess water and rinsed the fabric in cold water. I rinsed for quite a while but I didn't wait until the water ran clear (mostly because I felt like I was rinsing FOREVER) and then I tossed it in the washing machine. I ran a hot/cold cycle with an extra rinse at the end. While it was still damp I took a small section and ran it under the faucet again to see if it ran clear - it did. Then I tossed it in the dryer and dried it on high heat and that's it!

I don't know if I did it correctly - obviously this process differs greatly than the instructions on the package. But that's how I did it and I'm going to experiment more with how tightly it's scrunched up and possibly moving the fabric a teeny bit to allow the colors to run together more.

Hope that helps anyone that wants to try it out as well. For the record, the CV was white - 80% cotton, 20% poly. The Dylon package states the dye won't take as well to cotton/poly mixes as it does to 100% natural fibers - but maybe it was how long I left it in the dyebath, I thought it took the colors fine.

TakaraBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
volleyballvixen
Registered Users

Gorgeous! I'm still to scared to try LWI
volleyballvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Would this work on a moby? Whatre they made of anyway?

Subbing to this thread! I want to try it!
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a Moby but I dont recall what it was made of - it would probably work though since I"m pretty sure the main material is cotton. Double check yours to be sure!

The only thing is that each packet of Dylon will dye 1/2 lb. of fabric (8 oz.). If you have a lot of fabric, you'll need more packets or expect to be lighter in color than indicated. Also, for something really long like a Moby, you'll need a larger bucket/bin to put it in.

If you try it, I want to see the results!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
ralesiah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love LWI dying with Dylon, so easy! I did my flats and added a soda ash soak at the end to set them. Your colors are beautiful, I think it would make an awesome blanket.

Last edited by ralesiah; 03-30-2010 at 01:56 PM.
ralesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaraBaby View Post
I had a Moby but I dont recall what it was made of - it would probably work though since I"m pretty sure the main material is cotton. Double check yours to be sure!

The only thing is that each packet of Dylon will dye 1/2 lb. of fabric (8 oz.). If you have a lot of fabric, you'll need more packets or expect to be lighter in color than indicated. Also, for something really long like a Moby, you'll need a larger bucket/bin to put it in.

If you try it, I want to see the results!
Maybe Ill bring it to work and weigh it

I'll probably try this out on my flats first, to see if I can do a good job. I like the earth colors though, its gorgeous.

Does Dylon stain the container you use or wash off like Wiltons?

I will definately post pics when I decide to try it!
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
TakaraBaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralesiah View Post
I love LWI dying with Dylon, so easy! I did my flats and added a soda ash soak at the end to set them. Your colors are beautiful, I think it would make an awesome blanket.
You wanna share some pics? I think that's the main thing I love about Dylon - such ease! I might try the soda ash thing though... Did you have to rinse it less? That's the only part that drove me batty... all that water down the drain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaggiepie View Post
Maybe Ill bring it to work and weigh it

I'll probably try this out on my flats first, to see if I can do a good job. I like the earth colors though, its gorgeous.

Does Dylon stain the container you use or wash off like Wiltons?

I will definately post pics when I decide to try it!
I used a plastic tub and it wasn't stained at all afterward. It wasn't white though - it was a mauve-ish color.