Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Skin peeling on my boy?

OK I have a question if anyone has dealt with this or has any ideas as to what it may be or how to deal with it.
History
Last summer we moved mid June from Arizona to Kentucky, shortly thereafter I noticed my then 18 month old had peeling skin around his toes, like where the nail ends(not the nail bed) and the tips of the toes. It kept getting worse and then his fingers started too. It got so bad looking and you could see multiple layers of skin missing and the soles of his feet and toe tips were always bright red being so thin, new skin could never grow back. So I had to take him to urgent care as his new ped hadnt recieved the history from our old one and they checked him, nope no hand foot and mouth, no strep(I guess they can peel like this after a virus at times and it is usually strep) So he said eczema, cortizone and eucerin. Well not much improvement after a week but he had many layers to repair. Went to ped then who said no eczema, must be a wirus we missed. Um ok,
Then at his 2 year check in Dec, he still has toe peeling not as bad though and minimul finger peeling. Doc only notices toes and tells me to make sure he were proper fitting shoes and he may need odor eaters to keep it dry in there. I forgot to mention hello his fingers are still peeling but hey
He has been pretty much peel free from Jan until now, his fingers are going and his toes are in full force again. I am at a loss
DH says eczema could still be it as eczema is a bodies form of allergic response and the fact that it started up the same time of year again, he does not have any other allergies though.
Please help, he sits there and can peel skin off his finger tips and his feet look soo painful, I try lotions, all kinds and nothing, scale bathing down to once a week nothing, let him run around barefoot, sandled, socks and shoes nothing helps.

heidi

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
wmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Skin peeling on my boy?

Does it look anything like this?

That's my dd's hand a couple years ago. Her feet were even worse. She started the peeling not long after having a virus, so her ped thought it was what you said in your post, too--the post-virus shedding of the palms and soles that happens sometimes. She said it would last about 6 weeks. It did improve, but she remained peely like that to different degrees for a long, long time. I don't even remember how long, but I'm sure it was well over a year. In fact, I'm going to check her feet when she wakes up, because I'm not even sure if it's totally gone. I think it is, though--not sure when it disappeared though, it's not until your post that I realized that I haven't noticed it in awhile. I used to put lotion on her, but I wasn't consistent, and somehow it went away . I do think it may have been a form of eczema in her case.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmm looks pretty close, his is just starting up again so not too bad yet, he wont let me take pics right now but maybe later. Yeah my dh is a doc and he thinks the eczema thing, I think he may just have a seasonal allergy to something out here that wasnt in AZ, I hate that I cant make it better when it gets so many layers peeled off. I may try the cortizone again this year and see.
I'll let you know if I come across anytihng new. I have a ped appt tomorrow for the littler one so I will ask again about it, not liking this ped though.

heidi
Old 05-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Kindermama
Registered Users
seller

Cortisone cream just takes care of the skin and therefore, it will just become a recurrent issue. You want to get down to the root cause of why his body is trying to heal itself in the manner it is. Our body's innate wisdom heals from the inside out...so skin rashes & such are typically just a picture of what is happening internally.

I highly highly recommend taking him to a classical homeopath. It can be costly depending on where you live but I think the situation calls for it. If you let it go or "cover it up" with steroid creams, the inner issue will just come out elsewhere or never go away!

Another route you can take along with homeopathy is allergy testing.

I hope your son gets healed soon! It looks so uncomfortable!