Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
falcon2
Registered Users
seller

Worry about baby sleeping on stomach?

Hi
Just wondering if anyone else worries about thier babies sleeping on thier stomachs. I have an almost-6-month-old and have always swaddled him--well, until about 3 days ago. He used to love to be swaddled, nice and tight, with a miracle blanket. Now as soon as I lay him down, he gets his arms out, flips onto his stomach, and sucks his fist to fall asleep. He has been sleeping on his stomach for naps and all night since about 3 days ago. Nothing will stop him from doing this. I tried a sleep positioner a few times he always finds his way off of it. Anyway, I know that doctors say that they will eventually find thier way to sleep and thiers not much you can do about it, but still, I feel like I have to go in his room and check to see if he is breathing! Am I just paranoid?

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
momtotwinboyz
Registered Users
seller

Re: Worry about baby sleeping on stomach?

I was the same way. All three of my boys are stomach sleepers. When I had my twins 2 years ago I used to freak out about it. Just make sure that there are no stuffed animals or pillows in case your baby scoots around and can bury it's face in them. Other than that you should be fine. Also, if your baby sleeps with a blanket on, try to tuck the ends arounf the mattress so the baby can't get tangled.
momtotwinboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son has always been a stomach sleeper....

Just make sure that there are no blankets and such near his face.....
I don't really worry too much about it now that he is older (10 months)
Old 05-30-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
momof4
Registered Users
seller

All my kids preferred sleeping on their stomachs. At one point, it was the recommended positioning for babies! Keep potential hazards out of the way, check in regularly if you're concerned. I'm sure he'll do fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

If you're really concerned, you could get one of those blanket sleeper bags...I saw a lightweight one yesterday, made of flannel instead of fleece, would be better for warm weather. It would make it a little harder for him to flip over.

That being said, as long as my boys could roll themselves onto their stomach, and lift their head clear very easily, I figured they were ready to sleep that way...but it's a tough call, I know!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Carrie
Registered Users

My ped. says that the SIDS risk expires at 6 months, although I have also heard one year. My boys started tummy sleeping at 6 months. Just make sure there are no loose blankets or bumpers. It's a really critical age for babies to learn to fall asleep and go back to sleep on their own, and allowing them to find their own most comfortable position is important for that.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
Termie
Registered Users
seller

My almost 3mo is a tummy sleeper and has been since about 5wk for naps and 6wk for overnights. He's got great head control and can easily flip his head - it's part of his "put myself to sleep" routine - he even does it in our arms. He sleeps on a fleece blanket tucked tightly around his bassinet mattress and he scoots up 12"+ and over another 6"+ to get in "his" position. We've done all we can, but he still scoots the top of his head against the end of the bassinet and his forehead against the side. It's the way he was inside me (his head cradled by my pelvic floor and hip) and he'll root in our arms until he gets that way too. Maybe I should be more worried, but I trust if he can move himself that far he'll move his head if he can't breathe.

Once dh started letting him tummy sleep at night my exclusively breastfed baby started sleeping 6+hr and was 8+hr within a week or two. It's win-win for all of us.
Termie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a firm believer in babies sleeping on their back. However, I think once a baby turns themself over they're fine. SIDS can happen up to one year, but I wouldn't be concerned about since he's turning himself. Just do like was already said and keep the crib/bed safe with no loose blankets/sheets, stuffed animals, pillows, etc. No smoking in the home can also reduce any risk.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
lovemygirls
Registered Users
seller

My youngest dd is a stomach sleeper. I do put her in the sleep sack at night, she flips and turns so I'm not all that worried, but I do check on her all the time. My daugther is a little over 5 months old.

Ginger
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

we have our two week old on her tummy now, recommended by her PED as she's having gas issues, we just don't put anything else in the bassinet with her, swaddle her and stick her in, we had to do it with my first daughter too for the same reasons and she's fine, so I'm not worried about it.
Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote