Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Users
FTM want to get cloth diapering down before bb arrives!

I'm new to cloth diapering, I have done a lot of reading and researching. However, I need a little help on how to purchase and score great deals on cloth diapering. My fiance and I work two low income jobs each, so I feel cloth diapering would be very beneficial in supplying our baby with more for our money. Instead of settling for low grade regular diapers. Aside from budget we also want our baby to contribute to this earth so they have more of it to enjoy, and we feel regular diapers are a disaster waiting to happen. So my main concern is being able to achieve these goals, while being able to save the bank so baby can have more of what they need. Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Kpatronick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: FTM want to get cloth diapering down before bb arrives!

It does sound like cloth is right for you!. Be forewarned that no matter how much you research you really just need the baby in front of you. I was on forums and researching for a year before I started trying to get pregnant... so it was about 2.5 years later DS arrived... by then I was regurgitating everything I've learned to newbies and such then the baby came and I was nervous and didn't know what was going on. luckily it only took a few days to settle in a routine and the only sposies was a few at the hospital before we changed over.

I think any cloth diaper is better than a sposie. But if you want to "do the best for the earth" I'd say the best diapers are probably cotton or hemp with wool covers -- all will break down eventually and aren't made of petroleum. Whatever cloth diaper you think is best for you and your family is the best choice though.

The least expensive are flats/prefolds. good luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

What kind of systems or brands have you looked at and/or appeal to you most?

Black Friday can be a really great time to get diapers on sale. You don't say when you're due but if you have some time keeping an eye out for seconds from companies like GMD can help you score them cheaper also.

I do not suggest buying from places like,, or eBay. If you buy from an official cloth diaper retailer you get their knowledge, a warranty, and many of them offer free shipping and discounts. As bad as they may be to say, I also don't suggest buying secondhand diapers until you know what to look for and what to look out for. If you want to buy secondhand I would suggest doing so in a way that will let you inspect the diapers before you lay out the money for them.

I have very, very rarely paid full price (MSRP) for cloth diapers. I have bought a lot from Abby's Lane over the about 6 years I cloth diapered. They have free shipping with no minimum, gives 5% off most things, and if you watch their facebook page or sign up for their newsletter you'll be aware of the deals they have going on and special sales. We finished our baby's newborn stash with a sale of hers for 15% off Thirsties products and double reward points which was enough to buy two or three more diapers/accessories and got 5% off of the other stuff all with free shipping.
Jamie: Kinda crunchy, very blessed mom to 5 & volunteer firefighter.
I love making a home for my man in uniform and my children.
Baby Girl due 01/05/16!
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Users

So much of it depends on the baby! Luckily, the learning curve is quick. And keep in mind, what you love at 3 months might not be what you love at 13 months. Kiddos change quite a bit in that time!
TootsieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote