Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
livs_clothes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby getting rash all of a sudden.. With pic

So a few weeks ago my son (just turned 4 months old) got his first diaper rash. I assumed it was an ammonia burn from his nighttime diaper. So, I read up on here, then super cleaned all his diapers, washing and rinsing them multiple times, and putting a bit of bleach in one cycle. And I soaked some particularly stained ones in oxyclean (I know this is controversial.. I read lots of mixed reviews). Those I soaked in oxyclean, I washed and rinsed 3 times after before putting on baby. I use tide free and clear and 7th generation fabric softener a majority of the time. And on occasion, ecos laundry detergent. The first week, I thought things looked better.. But the rash is back. And last night he slept in a brand new (prepped by washing twice with ecos) diaper from Sloomb. I also just purchased, and have been using part time, the suede cloths from Sweet Iris..... As a diaper cream, I use one from Eco sprout, and one from Sloomb. And I've been applying them almost every diaper change since the rash reappeared. We use a variety of diapers.. If that matters.. Sloomb, el bee, guerillafluff, sweet Iris....and always use wool covers.

The rash is only in the crotch area though. Never on his bum..

What am I doing wrong here? I feel so bad, though he doesn't seem bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

livs_clothes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
greysmama
Registered Users
seller

Is the texture smooth? Bumpy? Or raised like chafing? My kids have super sensitive skin so any wetness and movement caused chafing esp if they were wearing a diaper with serged edges.
First looking at it I thought an allergic reaction to detergent. But you stripped them with rinses yes? Also I had issues after a few months with ecos so you might want to find a different detergent with more power.

Honestly tho I would try using baby powder or corn starch and see if just having less moisture and friction lessens it.
greysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby getting rash all of a sudden.. With pic

Looks like yeast to me. The red spots with the outlying dots are usually indication of yeast. I am no expert and rashes are hard to diagnose because a lot of them look similar, but it is my opinion. =)

Washing the diapers with bleach is good for that, but also don't forget everything else that comes in contact with his bum. Bath, potty seat (if used), changing table and pads, high chair etc as he can keep reinfecting himself. (If you find that it is yeast)
Tshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
Cookymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For what it is worth, my son gets rash easily. His first one came at just 2 weeks old. Apparently he just has really sensitive skin so we have to make sure we don't leave a diaper on too long (shouldn't anyway, but we have to be extra careful). Plus I cut our own stay-dry liners out of microfleece and we use them for every diaper change. Honestly, the most effective thing we can do to get rid of rash is to really let his bottom get good and dry before putting a new diaper on. Like, bone-dry. Our pediatrician even recommended using a hairdryer on cool setting to speed it up. After getting really dry, Then do diaper cream. Of course, just air drying really good won't cure a yeast rash or an allergy, but it might be a good place to start if you're not already doing it. But I feel your pain... It is heart-breaking to see your little one's skin looking so painful (even if they don't appear bothered by it).
Cookymama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would guess its a irritation rash, at least at the moment. what is irritating him is what you need to figure out. Could be the material or detergent. Could be wetness.

They way yeast rash was explained to me was that its a standard diaper (irritation) rash that gets infected with yeast from an inbalance in the gut (excess yeast in urine). I wouldn't say its yeasty at the moment as least.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshebby View Post
Looks like yeast to me. The red spots with the outlying dots are usually indication of yeast. I am no expert and rashes are hard to diagnose because a lot of them look similar, but it is my opinion. =)

Washing the diapers with bleach is good for that, but also don't forget everything else that comes in contact with his bum. Bath, potty seat (if used), changing table and pads, high chair etc as he can keep reinfecting himself. (If you find that it is yeast)
Yup, that looks like yeast to me as well. My kids all got it a couple times during their diaper years.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been lucky to avoid yeast. The ped told me that yeast has a certain smell. I remember him sticking his gloved finger on my kid and then taking a good whiff. DD is really sensitive and breaks out with rash if she is wet. I plaster her with aquaphor and use a fleece liner and that seems to help. Also, she does better with diapers with stay dry material like suede cloth. She breaks out with bg organics because the material stays wet after she pees. Washing her bum with Ivory soap seems to help between diaper changes.

You can try lotrimen cream for yeast. If it works, then you know it was yeast. If all else fails, I'd call the pediatrician.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
Jumbo
Registered Users
seller

Not sure if it's the same type of rash your LO has but I quickly found out I need to wipe my DS with a wet wipe and dry him out every change, even pee diapers, or he gets red in the wet zone. It was worse in the mornings. I moved and thought it was the washer, detergent, water etc and then realized it was from cutting corners with the diaper changes during the move. Is it possibly from not using a wet wipe every time? Maybe the diapers are clean but your LO isn't and all the bacteria already on him grows and multiplies all night. Just a thought.
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

That's what my baby's yeast rash looked like. I ended up boiling our diapers and treating him with lotrimin and then it was gone. It hasn't come back.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:02 AM   #10
Md2b
Registered Users
seller

It looks more irritated as you move down from where a diaper would usually land on his thighs. This leads me to suspect the diaper cover instead of the diaper. You said you use wool. Lanolin can irritate.
Md2b is offline   Reply With Quote