Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Are Newborn Diapers Worth Purchasing?

This question might be taboo but is buying newborn cloth worth it? I am pregnant with my third but only started cloth after my second child was crawling. One child was ten pounds at birth and went straight into 3-6 month clothing. My daughter was 9 pounds at birth (buy somehow fit into premier clothes). Anyway, newborn diapers seem like a big investment for something that might not really get used. Are there reasonable alternatives (Seventh Generation, Honest Co, etc) or is cloth always best even when on a budget?

Advertisement

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are Newborn Diapers Worth Purchasing?

For me it was worth it because my daughter was tiny and fit in them until she was 5 and 6 months old. She actually was in preemie disposables for a while because even the newborn cloth was to big. However, if you have big babies you can totally make OS diapers work if you don't mind it being a little bulky. I also think disposables are a perfectly reasonable alternative though. I love the Bambo Nature brand. They aren't budget sposies but they are the best eco friendly ones I've found. I guess it just totally depends on what you feel like you'd want to do. If you're already washing diapers for your daughter throwing in some newborn prefolds wouldn't be any more work really.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
ercarmichael
Registered Users
seller

I liked newborn AIOs for the convenience and the snap down for the umbilical cord stump. We also used GMD newborn prefolds with Rumparooz newborn aplix covers. Our girl was 7 lb. 15 oz at birth and though she's 15 lb now she's just growing out of the newborn aplix, since it's so adjustable. We've sized up with prefolds and only used the newborn AIOs for about 8 weeks.
ercarmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had 2 9.5 lb babies. They were only in KL0 diapers for a couple weeks.

I had the best luck with a sz1 Thirsties cover and infant prefolds tri-folded the short way.

THAT was very economical because the prefolds and covers both fit for months.

I am all about frugal! And expecting a big baby is nice for that.

FWIW, Karen at GMD suggested to me to skip newborn diapers if expecting a baby over 9#.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom
I had 2 9.5 lb babies. They were only in KL0 diapers for a couple weeks. I had the best luck with a sz1 Thirsties cover and infant prefolds tri-folded the short way. THAT was very economical because the prefolds and covers both fit for months. I am all about frugal! And expecting a big baby is nice for that. FWIW, Karen at GMD suggested to me to skip newborn diapers if expecting a baby over 9#.
This is great advice. Since I've been cloth diapering (first one was in sposies for 11 months), I've had two 9+ lb babies and one 8 lber. The 9 lb babies were only in nb cloth (prefolds and covers) for 2-3 weeks, while the 8lb baby fit them for the first 6+ weeks. They were still a good investment for me. Because I bought them for baby #2, and have used them for three babies so far (soon to be 4, when this little one is born.) If I were anticipating a 10lb baby, I'd probably skip the nb diapers and go for smalls with Thirsties size ones, and they would probably fit very soon if not right away.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
NewLVMomma
Registered Users

there's also several online places that will rent online. I looked into it but decided since this is my first of hopefully 2 I'd at least get another round of use out of them.
NewLVMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

They were worth it to me, but I have small babies and I invested in them when I had my 2nd, so I will have used them on 5 kids. Also, since they're typically lightly used, they retain good resale value. I actually bought preemie prefold diapers as NB diapers because NB prefolds didn't exist back then. I had to double them up to get enough absorbency, but after they were used as diapers, they got years of use as the best burp cloths ever made. Totally worth it.

If I was expecting a 9-10lb baby, I would probably just buy Smalls. I'm all about getting a lot of mileage out of my investments and if you think NB diapers wouldn't get much use, then there's no harm in skipping them.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I Think so. For your bigger babies maybe not as much. I would agree with the thristies duo sz1 line, especially the wrap that fit bigger than the AIOs. Capri size 1 might also be a good investment.

My LO were 8lbs and started in 3m clothes day one and we still used these covers for about 3 months.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm debating this same question. Most of mine have been 8 or 9 lbs. This last one was 7 something and I could have used NB for a couple of weeks but it would have been a waste for the rest.

My situation is complicated in that I'm building a stash again but I will probably only be using it for this one child.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the OP's case, probably not worth it. However, even my 8-pounder could wear NB diapers from 4-8 weeks depending on how it was made. His stump took nearly 4 weeks to fall off, so I was thankful for the shorter rise that NB dipes have.